Final thoughts before purchase in the 3500lb+ cab range?

/ Final thoughts before purchase in the 3500lb+ cab range? #1  

greginfinity

Tractor
L2501
So my tractor journey started here looking at something like a 1025r for basic yard maintenance, moving brush piles, dirt etc. As I looked into tractors, I started thinking about being able to clear some land, grade it, remove stumps, do snow removal etc. I was lucky enough to borrow a Kubota L4060 with backhoe last summer for a couple months and got a good idea of what I could do with a tractor, and what I couldn't do.

I quickly decided that I would want a cab, both for bugs/snow/heat, but also because I don't have space in a garage. I also realized that if I was going to spend $20k on something like a 1025r, I might as well jump up in size and get a more capable tractor.

My needs are: snow removal, clearing trees/brush on wooded land (and maybe chipping), grading cleared land, moving dirt for gardens, moving rock for landscaping etc. After renting a 13,000 lb mini excavator, I have talked myself out of paying the premium for a backhoe. The backhoe on the L4060 is nothing compared to a mini excavator. I am sure I there are a few tasks around the house where I would want one, but I can't justify the extra money.

Attachments: Loader, grapple, rear blower, box blade, (borrow a chipper)

The dealers around me are JD, Kubota, LS, New Holland, and a little further are TYM, McCormick, Bobcat. I am looking for something that is over 3000lbs with a cab.

Kubota - The dealer seems ok, although I think the tractors fly off the lot without any effort. An L3560 is about $37k and they have 0% for 84. I don't love the treadle but it is fine.
JD - Almost nothing on my local lot. Sister dealerships have 3 and 4 series but they are so expensive that I haven't bothered to go look.
LS - 0 tractors in stock locally. 2 hours away there is an MT357HC for $37k, and I think they have 4% for 84.
New Holland - Best customer experience so far, I know they are marked up LS tractors but the dealer seems solid but small (they mostly sell large construction equipment). There is a Boomer 40 (same as XR3140) for $34k, or Boomer 45 (same as MT347HC) for $38k. I HATE the gear shifter on the MT3 sized tractor, it is right against your right knee, next to the loader joystick. Terrible design. They have 0% for 60.
TYM - Such an odd dealership, they sell tons of recreational type products, and have a pretty huge operation of RVs, trailers, boats, etc. They were nice enough, but the TYM products don't seem polished. Definitely the cheapest option, but I don't want to deal with them if I have any issues.
McCormick - No HST on the lot, but the tractors look nice!
Bobcat - No call back and no stock.

I am leaning towards the New Holland Boomer 40 (which is an XR3140). I know I am paying a little extra, but they are right down the road, and seem to have a good reputation. I'm not sure I love the loader being far out on the tractor, you gain visibility at the expense of max lifting load. I definitely like the old shifter location on these tractors, not how it is on the Boomer 45+. The little tires on the front worry me a little bit with traction and getting stuck, we do sometimes get soggy/muddy areas. Not sure if that should hold me back though. I also like that I get two rear remotes. Not sure I would ever use the mid-pto.

Any thoughts on anything I am missing?

Thanks for this great resource!

/ Final thoughts before purchase in the 3500lb+ cab range? #2  
Guess my only thought would be the rear mounted snow blower, seems to be the largest task and the 40 has 34 PTO HP claimed? Not sure how large a blower your thinking or what kind of snow conditions but I'd probably look closely at that task and make sure you have enough power to do what you want with a blower.

Other than that it sounds like you got to cheat on the test borrowing a tractor long term and running a decent sized excavator;)

/ Final thoughts before purchase in the 3500lb+ cab range? #3  
So my tractor journey started here looking at something like a 1025r for basic yard maintenance, moving brush piles, dirt etc. As I looked into tractors, I started thinking about being able to clear some land, grade it, remove stumps, do snow removal etc. I was lucky enough to borrow a Kubota L4060 with backhoe last summer for a couple months and got a good idea of what I could do with a tractor, and what I couldn't do.

I quickly decided that I would want a cab, both for bugs/snow/heat, but also because I don't have space in a garage. I also realized that if I was going to spend $20k on something like a 1025r, I might as well jump up in size and get a more capable tractor.

My needs are: snow removal, clearing trees/brush on wooded land (and maybe chipping), grading cleared land, moving dirt for gardens, moving rock for landscaping etc. After renting a 13,000 lb mini excavator, I have talked myself out of paying the premium for a backhoe. The backhoe on the L4060 is nothing compared to a mini excavator. I am sure I there are a few tasks around the house where I would want one, but I can't justify the extra money.

Attachments: Loader, grapple, rear blower, box blade, (borrow a chipper)

The dealers around me are JD, Kubota, LS, New Holland, and a little further are TYM, McCormick, Bobcat. I am looking for something that is over 3000lbs with a cab.

Kubota - The dealer seems ok, although I think the tractors fly off the lot without any effort. An L3560 is about $37k and they have 0% for 84. I don't love the treadle but it is fine.
JD - Almost nothing on my local lot. Sister dealerships have 3 and 4 series but they are so expensive that I haven't bothered to go look.
LS - 0 tractors in stock locally. 2 hours away there is an MT357HC for $37k, and I think they have 4% for 84.
New Holland - Best customer experience so far, I know they are marked up LS tractors but the dealer seems solid but small (they mostly sell large construction equipment). There is a Boomer 40 (same as XR3140) for $34k, or Boomer 45 (same as MT347HC) for $38k. I HATE the gear shifter on the MT3 sized tractor, it is right against your right knee, next to the loader joystick. Terrible design. They have 0% for 60.
TYM - Such an odd dealership, they sell tons of recreational type products, and have a pretty huge operation of RVs, trailers, boats, etc. They were nice enough, but the TYM products don't seem polished. Definitely the cheapest option, but I don't want to deal with them if I have any issues.
McCormick - No HST on the lot, but the tractors look nice!
Bobcat - No call back and no stock.

I am leaning towards the New Holland Boomer 40 (which is an XR3140). I know I am paying a little extra, but they are right down the road, and seem to have a good reputation. I'm not sure I love the loader being far out on the tractor, you gain visibility at the expense of max lifting load. I definitely like the old shifter location on these tractors, not how it is on the Boomer 45+. The little tires on the front worry me a little bit with traction and getting stuck, we do sometimes get soggy/muddy areas. Not sure if that should hold me back though. I also like that I get two rear remotes. Not sure I would ever use the mid-pto.

Any thoughts on anything I am missing?

Thanks for this great resource!
A third function is a MUST, as well as two rear remotes!
I have a Kubota L48TLB with hyd. thumb, (originally from Union Farm Equip, in Union, ME), and find that I use my BH (not always for digging) almost as much as the loader.

/ Final thoughts before purchase in the 3500lb+ cab range? #4  
If you have a Yanmar dealer in your area check out these tractors:
Hop on the tractor and test drive them before you make a decision
as this should give you a better idea of what you want and fit you
needs

willy

/ Final thoughts before purchase in the 3500lb+ cab range?
Fried, you aren't supposed to tell me you use the BH a lot! Now comes the second guessing!!!

Love the look of the Yanmar but the closest dealer was many hours away, a $50k price tag and a couple month delivery.

/ Final thoughts before purchase in the 3500lb+ cab range? #6  
The new NH Workmaster 55/65/75 series is made by NH in a joint venture in Turkey. It is a totally different tractor than the LS models. You might look at the WM 55 HP cab model for comparison. My WM 75 cab model was $46,000 last year, that included 3rd function, R4s, and wheel weights.

/ Final thoughts before purchase in the 3500lb+ cab range? #7  
Hey Bub,

Are you really set on new? I couldn't bring myself to pay for it and I waited till the implements I wanted were up for sale used. I don't blame you one bit on bagging the BH. Mini excavator is easily 10 times faster.
Between Hammond Tractor, Union Farm Equipment and Chappell in Milford I was able to save a pocket full of cash and the stuff I bought wasn't all beat to death. In fact it was all very light used and taken care of. The tractor was filthy in dirt, dust and wood chips but cleaned up really well and was much better than I expected when finished.
The only new thing I bought was the forks and 6 choker chains for the logging winch.

/ Final thoughts before purchase in the 3500lb+ cab range?
I am pretty set on new since the used market is crazy right now. I am not going to pay 80-90% of new for a tractor for one with 500+ hours. For instance:

/ Final thoughts before purchase in the 3500lb+ cab range? #9  
Hey Bub,

Are you really set on new? I couldn't bring myself to pay for it and I waited till the implements I wanted were up for sale used. I don't blame you one bit on bagging the BH. Mini excavator is easily 10 times faster.
Between Hammond Tractor, Union Farm Equipment and Chappell in Milford I was able to save a pocket full of cash and the stuff I bought wasn't all beat to death. In fact it was all very light used and taken care of. The tractor was filthy in dirt, dust and wood chips but cleaned up really well and was much better than I expected when finished.
The only new thing I bought was the forks and 6 choker chains for the logging winch.
No doubt a ...... "mini excavator is easily 10 times faster".
How fast is it when you need to just dig two or three relatively small holes, and the mini is sitting in a rental yard, X miles away?

/ Final thoughts before purchase in the 3500lb+ cab range? #10  
No doubt a ...... "mini excavator is easily 10 times faster".
How fast is it when you need to just dig two or three relatively small holes, and the mini is sitting in a rental yard, X miles away?
I’ll plan my job around a time frame that works better. It’s at home. Not a job.