Final Drive motor issues

/ Final Drive motor issues #1  

hockeypuck

Silver Member
Tractor
Excavator Samsung SE130LCM
I was doing spring maintenance on my excavator and when I drained on of the final drive motors of it gear oil it was grey in color instead of the normal black. I surmise that I have some hydraulic fluid leaking from the high pressure side through a seal into the gear case. I an not positive on this because the level was right where it should have been . Does anyone have a better explanation on why my gear oil was grey. I have priced out a new final drive ($4100 good price happy to share my findings with anyone who needs a final drive on a korean excavator) but before I go that route I refilled the gear case and will run it for a while then check it again.

'puck

/ Final Drive motor issues #2  
I guess it might be too late now, but anyhow. What you should/could do is a oil test and that will tell you the condition of the oil. If both sides seem a little weak it might be time for a newer machine before they fail. hint hint nudge nudge say no more /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Final Drive motor issues #3  
As in:

"Great machine, never any problems.......just changed fluids, etc."

/forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

/ Final Drive motor issues #4  
Hydraulic oil will not make it gray it will be over full. gray is more likely water or wear in the final almost all of the excavator finals will have some water migrate into them. It does not mean there is anything wrong with the final! Same thing with the silver which you see in the oil unless you see flakes of the metal in the oil don't be to concerend with it Worked on heavy equipment for the last 33 years and have yet to see a excavator final with out at least a little bit of contamnation that way. and the more wet areas you are working in the worse it will be

/ Final Drive motor issues #5  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">(
As in:

"Great machine, never any problems.......just changed fluids, etc."

/forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif )</font>

No, trade before the problem gets obvious(if there is a problem) and you either have to repair or take a hit on the selling price /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

/ Final Drive motor issues
Thanks for all your help, the funny thing is now that I think of it, the motor that had the grey colored oil was at the correct level, and the one that was black was over full. So my problem maybe with the other side. I ran it for a couple of hours this weekend. I will check it in the morning to see if my gear side has over filled again.

What is the harm will running a track motor with a leaky seal?

As far as trading it in, it is my machine I use around the house, and doubt if I could find another one for the price I got this one. Some people by boats for their hobby, my just happens to be an 30000 lb excavator, it is just a little more productive than a boat. I would never sell it to anyone with out fixing or disclosure, but sticking it to a dealer..... I would have to think about that one.

Puck

/ Final Drive motor issues #7  
What is the harm will running a track motor with a leaky seal?

Maybe nothing, but it could be a lot of potential problems down the road. My guess would be to check it on a regular bases and see what develops. If you are going to keep it that is the cheapest thing to do(assuming cheap is what you want to do). However if it appears to be getting worse don't let it go. Maybe a more frequent changing of the oil might prolong it useful life. These are just a few things that come to mind. As far as disclosure goes that is a personal decision and no one but you can decide that. The only reason I mentioned it is because it is a option. After/if the drive fails yours options are limited. By the way excavators are a lot kooler than boats /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Good luck and keep us informed.

/ Final Drive motor issues #8  
It is 30 bolt hole pattern final drive motor, $4100 is a bargain and if it 15 holes for sprocket, you might be overpaying it.
I would advise you to inspect the gears. If there is no significant wear, I would keep operating it untill something else breaks and then install a new one.
And you certainly want to keep an eye on the oil leak into the gearbox from the motor. If it slow leak then let it be but if it is leaking fast you may want to replace the final drive.
I would advise against replacing the seal. Labor cost a lone may eat away any saving you hope to gain.
If you need a new final drive motor, check this out Hyundai | Hydraulic America