Filter for diesel storage tank

/ Filter for diesel storage tank #21  
Looks good but I have an electric pump with hoses.... I guess it could be hard plumbed in (y) and a filter added like you show. OR maybe I should just break down and buy the rotary pump. Argh
I'd stay with the electric.
Not much needed.
Nipples and maybe a reducing bushing or 2
I would go with a filter housing for 1" filters.

I have a few 3/4" filters, but have trouble finding the 3/4 npt filters now and am switching to 1".

/ Filter for diesel storage tank #22  
You are correct. I assumed 15gpm was too high a flow to filter down to 2u. CimTek seems to make a 2u water absorbing filter that can handle 25gpm. I'm going to check if the filter height will fit where I need it.
I run with a 5 - 30 micron filter first and then into the 2 micron and then to the hose.
Seems to let the 2 micron last a very long time.

I'm switching to 1" filters because I have trouble finding the 3/4" filters anymore.

The filters are the same other than the threaded hole.

/ Filter for diesel storage tank #23  
I'd stay with the electric.
Not much needed.
Nipples and maybe a reducing bushing or 2
I would go with a filter housing for 1" filters.

I have a few 3/4" filters, but have trouble finding the 3/4 npt filters now and am switching to 1".
Which unit are you recommending? Do you have a link? Thank you

/ Filter for diesel storage tank #24  
Which unit are you recommending? Do you have a link? Thank you
This is where I order from.
Scroll down to see the filters.

I would get 1" filter and housing as I've had trouble finding what I want in the 3/4"

/ Filter for diesel storage tank #25  
I use a 10 micron water blocking filter on my transfer tank. It's a Goldenrod spin on and head available at TSC or Amazon.
The headache that the water blocking filter saves more than offsets the cost.

/ Filter for diesel storage tank #26  
That's why I start with that and finish with a 2 micron

/ Filter for diesel storage tank #27  
I'm thinking the water blocking aspect is more important than the filter micron rating. Typical tractor fuel bowls are very tiny and the bouncing and movement of the equipment dosnt let the water build up in the bowl very far before its sucked in.

Either way my newest equipment is 23yrs old and dosnt mind what the fuel is filtered down to...after all I'm burning heating oil.

/ Filter for diesel storage tank #28  
I also worry about water separation with my fueling rig:

P1090396c.jpg

I've been burn heating oil as well for over 30 years though and have never had a problem. I have the suction pipe mounted 6" above the bottom of a 1000 gal tank and as a precaution, never draw fuel immediately after a delivery. I open the drain valve on the tank bottom a couple of times a year to check and have never seen any water.

I know I could get a bad batch of fuel at some point though so I may modify the rig to add a water separator. I like the Goldenrod but it has no mounting holes to attach it to a wall. I'd have to weld a couple of plates to 1" pipe nipples to mount it. I know this product is available but the filter is also the anchor point for the filler hose and it doesn't look strong enough to handle the strain:

Last edited:
   / Filter for diesel storage tank #29  
I'm thinking the water blocking aspect is more important than the filter micron rating. Typical tractor fuel bowls are very tiny and the bouncing and movement of the equipment dosnt let the water build up in the bowl very far before its sucked in.

Either way my newest equipment is 23yrs old and dosnt mind what the fuel is filtered down to...after all I'm burning heating oil.

I do believe water separation and particulate filtering are important, more so with common rail high pressure fuel systems.
I was also not too keen on the very small water separator / strainer on my tractor, so I replaced it with a Racor 2 micron water separating filter. Generally a 2u filter should be secondary in a system, but so far the 2u filter is doing well. I installed a vacuum gauge to closely monitor the filter, and worst case I can swap the canister with a 10u element.
IMG_4079.jpg

/ Filter for diesel storage tank #30  
I find it easier and cheaper to change the filter on the tank as opposed to the filter on any equipment or vehicle