Fighting 'Solar Farm' Installation

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Fighting 'Solar Farm' Installation #1,061  
Not sure where you are getting this. There are most definitely differences in panel and inverter manufacturers, efficiencies and degradation over time.

My system is way less than ideal because it is roof mounted. Not a perfect angle, not a perfect direction and some shade from tall oaks at certain times. Nonetheless, 20MWh over 12months on a 15kw system (15kw panels and 15kw inverter, I’d prefer a bit more on the panel side to make up for inefficiencies and increase area under production curve, but just don’t have the room on that roof, 42 panels east up half of my 40x50 shop roof pretty completely).
I researched solar for a while, read the manufactures literature on how they claimed the equipment would perform and the expected degradation schedules on the various ones. There really is getting to be less buying options as companies have left the field. Based on the research I've done, micro inverter systems have less fall out due to a single panel degrading vs the single inverter system you have. A single panel on a single inverter system can cause the whole system to way under produce while the micro inverter system can still work near peak efficiency. Not that I really trust what the manufactures say so I've also talked and have been show how multiple systems are working in reality. One is based in Washington under less than ideal conditions, another in Arizona and then Idaho in what is considered ideal situations. Another an older system in Washington in a more open area. All fixed mount, all have underperformed so far. Being newer installs we'll see how the do in the peak season. Then I've used solar in the past for attic vents, gate and fence chargers, generators and have been disappointed with the results so I tend to carry a jump box with me in the winter just in case the batteries didn't charge. For ME, I've decided the best system would be a gimble mounted micro inverter ground based system. Then I looked into the the costs and it will not ever break even. If I do it myself it might but then I have grid tie issues with the local UD. So, the path I've chosen is efficiency. I average 3300kwh a month, sometimes up to 5000kwh if the temp drops low enough. Somethings I can change like my high powered lot lights and bringing this old barn conversion up to current specs. Others such at tank heaters and the greenhouse, not much you can do and still have them do the work required. I can go onto wind also and the benefit's of turbine vs blade but this is long already AND most likely boring. Besides, break time is over and I need to get out into the fields and emit some greenhouse gases to keep the greening of the world moving along. Also gives the cows a work out as they follow me around for hours :) Either way, I do like hearing how others systems have preformed vs what I research and see.....

/ Fighting 'Solar Farm' Installation #1,062  
Check out this article about a large lithium deposit in Wyoming. New Wyoming Lithium Deposit could Meet all U.S. Demand | OilPrice.com.
Nice article but this administration will probably sell the rights to that Chinese company who just got approval to build in Michigan to start making batteries.

/ Fighting 'Solar Farm' Installation #1,063  
Accounting has no politics - it is numbers, and if the numbers say one thing and the politicians say another, guess who wins?
Until politicians get involved. If the free market was allowed to work, Solar couldn't be cheaper. It's the same way with using diesel is used to power machines to make bio fuels. It is not a net gain when all factors are accounted for. Same for wind and solar. The amount of energy it takes to make renewable wouldn't even be close to building any of these on their own, they have to have huge amounts of carbon based fuels to make them and they don't last as long.

/ Fighting 'Solar Farm' Installation #1,064  
Years ago I thought about solar. I have lots of South facing buildings, lots of roof area.
Suppose a solar system grand total is $25K.
The average stock market return for the last 20 years was 8.91% (higher if you look at 10 or 30 year average). That's $185.65/ month for that $25,000.
My highest electric bill ever was $145 in 43 years. I don't have any maintenance, we've never lost power more than a few days.
Should I go solar?

/ Fighting 'Solar Farm' Installation #1,065  
Some people have got together in one of our communities and are planning on installing a huge multi-acre solar farm on property adjacent to my daughter's and sister-in-law's property. They will be surrounded to the north and south of their properties and across the road. Their property value will go to nearly nothing.

Has anybody fought the installation of one of these?

Any ideas?

RSKY
They purchased poorly. If they had bought forested land on the north facing side of a canyon you'd have no such risk.

Enjoy your all electric house, your EV, your diesel pickups and equipment plugged in all winter long. We all know that there is all the electricity available as needed at your heart's desire. Your REA loves you and your descendants will get a check in a few hundred years if the service stays in your name.

But seriously, who are you to say what neighbors do with their land if privately owned and they have a business opportunity? If a commercial concern buys the land for this purpose there might have a zoning issue to be argued.

Also, the city person who builds a McMansion on a few acres cut out of a section who owns nothing else? What if someone bought a 20 across the road and started a recycling business?

/ Fighting 'Solar Farm' Installation #1,066  
Years ago I thought about solar. I have lots of South facing buildings, lots of roof area.
The average stock market return for the last 20 years was 8.91% (higher if you look at 10 or 30 year average). That's $185.65/ month for that $25,000.
My highest electric bill ever was $145 in 43 years. I don't have any maintenance, we've never lost power more than a few days.
Should I go solar?

I think you should! You could take a big bite out of John Kerry’s carbon footprint! (y) :ROFLMAO:

/ Fighting 'Solar Farm' Installation #1,067  
They whistle past the graveyard on all that stuff. Most solar panels, assembles, transformers, wiring and electrical infrastructure is made offshore, where it could be made in countries that want us destroyed, then shipped here thousands of miles on smoke belching ships.

That’s so sensible. So ethical. So “green”….

:rolleyes:
Hence the Green New Deal that someone already posted was not created for environmental reasons but for encouraging the manufacturing of new components in America. I don't remember the exact number that I heard, but several conservative congressional members have been causing voting issues because their districts are manufacturing energy products. They have to decide to vote with party lines or vote to support manufacturing that has already started where their electors live.

/ Fighting 'Solar Farm' Installation #1,068  
Should I go solar?
I will use your annual market return figure:
My solar array, installed by me, had out-of-pocket cost of $9,400.
9400 x 8.91% = $837.54
divided by 12 (months) = $69.80

My electric bill prior to going solar averaged double that.
That bill is now gone at the end of the year.
(I admit we have made lots of conservation moves, but we also added a plug in hybrid to our vehicle list, I would guess a "wash" really.)
I do not have to pay taxes on the market return either.

Go figure.

Your milage may vary.

regards,

R

/ Fighting 'Solar Farm' Installation #1,069  
Hence the Green New Deal that someone already posted was not created for environmental reasons but for encouraging the manufacturing of new components in America. I don't remember the exact number that I heard, but several conservative congressional members have been causing voting issues because their districts are manufacturing energy products. They have to decide to vote with party lines or vote to support manufacturing that has already started where their electors live.
Thiat was tried before (Solyndra). It bordered on fraud.
Honestly, as much as I think the science is questionable and we have much better options, I sincerely hope new businesses are created here with long term great paying jobs.
Seeins how this bunch operates, my confidence level is low.

/ Fighting 'Solar Farm' Installation #1,070  
This thread!

1682713065427.jpeg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.