Fighting 'Solar Farm' Installation

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Fighting 'Solar Farm' Installation #1,021  
How dare you bring facts and experience to the internet!

Al Gore is rolling over in his grave!
I couldn't find the post you replied to so I'm doing it here. THAT math does not add up. A 7.5kwh array would defy known science for it to produce 30MWH in 41 months under the best of conditions. I'd consider replacing that app! Maybe it was a typo?

/ Fighting 'Solar Farm' Installation #1,022  
They have taken over in eastern nc,in my rural area they have cleared thousands of acres within and around our community,we have wondered what they are planning,i would rather see solar farms instead of walmart,DG or low income apartment complexes bringing all the city filth and crime with it IMHO,At least solar panels dont steal from,shoot at,holler at and destroy or make noise and they pretty much insure that wont happen,on the other hand,im an avid hunter on my small 15 acres and since the logging within 5miles around our property i have seen the deer population dramatically reduce,from sitting in a stand from less than an hour to 4hrs+ with 0 results,so i guess its good and bad and from a an old country boys bank account not much fight against it
I hear that. The only thing is, if they didn't build solar panels, would the woods/farmland still be there with all the wildlife?

There could be 3 options:
1. Development
2. solar panels
3. none of the above.

Put in in for #3.

/ Fighting 'Solar Farm' Installation #1,023  
I like symmetry, so looking at a solar farm with all the panels lined up is like art to me the city is actually looks quite messy and chaotic, nothing seems to be an order. Planted fields, military cemeteries, striped grass etc. etc. are all examples of symmetry,This is was why I use example of walking through a cornfield, no matter what row you're in everything looks lined up.

No offense meant with the Elvis post, I had an " Elvis" however he was called "Jay" for short. Made it to 16 1/2.
No offense taken, just figured I could explain the name. Wish he'd lived that long but the big dogs tend to die younger. His replacement (Reagan) looks the same but at 55pounds is less than half his size.
I understand the symmetry thing with art. Clean lines always look better. Add in curves in the proper places.... :)

/ Fighting 'Solar Farm' Installation #1,024  
Solar/Wind wasn’t the primary issue with Texas power in the freeze, it was NG.

Solar/Wind production expectations are factored in the winter months by ERCOT.

I know it doesn’t make good Facebook posts, but had NG stayed alive. Tx would have been fine.
It was a big enough issue as they are (were) relying on wind and solar more and more. The wind had to be shut down due to temp, granted with the proper oil in them they could have kept them running under the conditions they experience, but they didn't. The solar just didn't produce as expected during that time frame. Add in taking off the power plants as part of the transition and you got a perfect storm. (Texas also is on their own grid) Bet it'll happen elsewhere many times. Germany went all in on both, closed up their plants as electricity costs skyrocketed, hit a bad spell and were forced to import their needed power at high costs and ration. Hmm, didn't California have some brown outs where they asked electric vehicle owners not to charge them? I remember them demanding energy from nearby states.

/ Fighting 'Solar Farm' Installation #1,025  
Just curious what you base this on? With all the federal programs and power company buy back I would think it would be a payback. Just my thinking, I don't have anything to base it on in Kentucky. The way he worded it almost sounds like if a group got together to do it, it may be for personal use anyway.
Without all the federal subsidies, they would not in their useful life, pay for themselves.

/ Fighting 'Solar Farm' Installation #1,026  
I couldn't find the post you replied to so I'm doing it here. THAT math does not add up. A 7.5kwh array would defy known science for it to produce 30MWH in 41 months under the best of conditions. I'd consider replacing that app! Maybe it was a typo?

I’m guessing it was a 7.5kw array.
30MWh over 3.5yrs seems doable.

My 15kW system did 20MWh in the past 12 months.

/ Fighting 'Solar Farm' Installation #1,027  
Sorry but my 7530 array produced 15.6 in 2022. Expanding that to 41 months is 53.3 MWH.

I added panels in Jan of 2022 to increase output.

B90F18D7-099B-4E08-B466-17BD195F3CE0.png

/ Fighting 'Solar Farm' Installation #1,028  
It was a big enough issue as they are (were) relying on wind and solar more and more. The wind had to be shut down due to temp, granted with the proper oil in them they could have kept them running under the conditions they experience, but they didn't. The solar just didn't produce as expected during that time frame. Add in taking off the power plants as part of the transition and you got a perfect storm. (Texas also is on their own grid) Bet it'll happen elsewhere many times. Germany went all in on both, closed up their plants as electricity costs skyrocketed, hit a bad spell and were forced to import their needed power at high costs and ration. Hmm, didn't California have some brown outs where they asked electric vehicle owners not to charge them? I remember them demanding energy from nearby states.

Wind and Solar issues contributed in small part.

NG issues contributed in large part

Texas does have their own grid, largest producer in the country and largest exporter in the country.

/ Fighting 'Solar Farm' Installation #1,029  
The comments on adding to rooftops of buildings. This is becoming more common on new construction. Structure has to be sized to support and the electrical system has to be able to support a large array.

Parking lot/garage structures for solar are pretty expensive, but they are becoming more common place in areas.

Hard to beat installation costs on post driven ground mount systems. They are using the open land because it is the cheapest most efficient means to get the array installed.

/ Fighting 'Solar Farm' Installation #1,030  
Because the other countries don't care about the climate and the US is one of the few countries with people who see climate as a religion.

The US has come a long way to protecting the environment since the early 70's and is doing much better than China, Mexico, and
All of the surrounding states with wind farms weren’t affected by the cold weather. Even in Wyoming the windmills operate in cold weather. The wind facilities in Texas weren’t properly equipped for cold weather. The same reason why many of the Texas natural gas plants were inoperable. They didn’t winterize the facilities.

Status
Not open for further replies.