Fighting 'Solar Farm' Installation

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Fighting 'Solar Farm' Installation #531  
Also, IMO, urban sprawl is the greatest threat to farm land. Just drive around Columbus, Ohio if you want a perfect example of that.
When I was a kid, we used to visit Cincinnati quite often. In the 70's it started spreading north towards Dayton. Today... you can't recognize that area. I believe I read about 10 years ago it was the 2nd fasted growing area in the U.S., only being behind the Raleigh/Durham area.

/ Fighting 'Solar Farm' Installation #532  
I can agree with you partially on that sentiment. However, a large number of wind farms are in crop land regions of the country where agriculture is still happening under them. Covering up good farm land with a solar panel is not the most ideal way to make it agriculturally productive but, like stated previously, some farmers are finding ways to raise things like sheep on that ground. In many situations, allowing wind or solar on their farm land is a profit increase. Until the farmer can make more money JUST farming their land, they will always have to look for additional income options.
I live close to The Wilds, a type of large scale zoo in Ohio. Its basically a huge grassland. You know why it's only grassland? Because when they mined for coal here, they ruined the agricultural productivity of the land.
Just a few miles south of me, in Noble county, several thousand acres of privately owned rural ground is being strip mined. Most of the mineral rights were sold prior to the current land owners purchasing their land. They have zero say. The coal company has already sold this coal, but not in America. It has already been bought by China.
Are there smarter places to put solar panels and wind turbines, absolutely. But my diversifying America's energy production options, we decrease dependence. The farm that is struggling gets some additional income and their land is still productive to them. The natural gas boom in my area has been a God send for all of the land owners in our area, and it has a minimal impact, at least from an extraction stand point. None of them are perfect (we may not have perfect energy production until I am an old man with fusion), but some are better options than others.
Also, IMO, urban sprawl is the greatest threat to farm land. Just drive around Columbus, Ohio if you want a perfect example of that.
I totally get “highest & best use” of land. If solar rent pays more than crops, what farmer wouldn’t shed his equipment and rent his land.
Once you cover land with solar panels, it sharply limits options. “Raising sheep” is such a micro-ag industry. VERY few farmers would want to drop hay or row crops and pick up 500 sheep to make a living.
If we mine coal here and sell it to China, what have we accomplished? Seems to me mining coal is mining coal, no matter who it gets sold to. If we continue to mine coal here and send it to China then they pollute the atmosphere and continue the greenhouse gasses, then what on earth has been saved? If we were resolutely committed to reducing “global climate change”, then we would stop mining and selling coal, especially if it goes to China, since they don’t care about smokestack emissions. After all, they are a “developing nation”, right?

Natural gas and Nukes are the answer, but the environmentalist religious cult makes the rules now.

/ Fighting 'Solar Farm' Installation #533  
"Natural gas and Nukes are the answer, but the environmentalist religious cult makes the rules now."

I do not disagree with the implication that natural gas and nuclear 2 sources of energy production for a diverse energy system. However, nuclear has an extremely high overhead, especially because the newer systems used now to prevent human error are very costly. I'm sorry, but I do not want a nuclear reactor built by the lowest bidder or by companies looking for a profit over safety. And talk about reducing property value...

The "Environmentalist Religious Cult" has done nothing around here to inhibit the natural gas industry. It's actually the opposite. One of the largest natural gas energy production facilities in the country was just completed 4 miles from my house. It's also the most energy efficient and cleanest fossil fuel burning technology available. The legislation encouraged this type of system. Same company is starting one about 30 miles north of here now. But this isn't perfect. The property value for anyone within eye sight of the facility just had property value drop drastically. I can also hear it running at my house several miles away.

We just simply need to face it... A diversity of energy options is the best option. Use what works where you are. Here, we have natural gas, in California they have sunshine and in Texas they have wind. The coal and oil industry are only pushing a narrative about them being penalized and alternatives being pushed because they do not hold a monopoly on energy production anymore. It just so happens to be the first time the alternative sector has equal legislative power. The technology is finally competitive, consumers want it, and its a stupid idea to ship coal all over the country just because the coal industry dominated since the 40's and 50's.

/ Fighting 'Solar Farm' Installation #534  
"Natural gas and Nukes are the answer, but the environmentalist religious cult makes the rules now."

I do not disagree with the implication that natural gas and nuclear 2 sources of energy production for a diverse energy system. However, nuclear has an extremely high overhead, especially because the newer systems used now to prevent human error are very costly. I'm sorry, but I do not want a nuclear reactor built by the lowest bidder or by companies looking for a profit over safety. And talk about reducing property value...

The "Environmentalist Religious Cult" has done nothing around here to inhibit the natural gas industry. It's actually the opposite. One of the largest natural gas energy production facilities in the country was just completed 4 miles from my house. It's also the most energy efficient and cleanest fossil fuel burning technology available. The legislation encouraged this type of system. Same company is starting one about 30 miles north of here now. But this isn't perfect. The property value for anyone within eye sight of the facility just had property value drop drastically. I can also hear it running at my house several miles away.

We just simply need to face it... A diversity of energy options is the best option. Use what works where you are. Here, we have natural gas, in California they have sunshine and in Texas they have wind. The coal and oil industry are only pushing a narrative about them being penalized and alternatives being pushed because they do not hold a monopoly on energy production anymore. It just so happens to be the first time the alternative sector has equal legislative power. The technology is finally competitive, consumers want it, and it’s a stupid idea to ship coal all over the country just because the coal industry dominated since the 40's and 50's.

I’m sorry, but the new energy alternative is competitive because we are giving them billions, if not trillions in taxpayer support to make them that way.

Nuke plant construction might be given to lowest bidder, but the mechanical engineering minimum standards insure that minimum acceptable safety requirements are achieved by all bidders.

Just like a set of blueprints for a house, if the architect requires 2x6 walls and 5/8” wall sheathing, any bidder who specifies 2x4 studs or 1/2” wall sheathing will be rejected.

Once we get out population informed that the world isn’t going to end in 9 years, the green environmentalists will hopefully get their emotions under control and we can return to sanity and use what we have here to produce affordable energy rather than overpriced, unreliable, taxpayer subsidized alternative energy.
Then we can once again compete with other nations without racking up trillions in national debt. THAT could be our most crippling problem we face.

/ Fighting 'Solar Farm' Installation #535  
I’m sorry, but the new energy alternative is competitive because we are giving them billions, if not trillions in taxpayer support to make them that way.
I'm sorry but what do you think we have been doing for the coal and oil companies for the last 70 years. Again, tax dollars are going to the alternative options more now then before because they are better now then they were before. Tax dollars are going to natural gas more in Ohio and Pennsylvania now because it's a better option here now. The industry decided that, not the government That's how the federal government works.
I am not going to argue about what good things and bad things the federal government puts our money into, because I am sure there are many things you and I would agree on in that. However, there is not one penny of my tax money that I would want to go to the coal industry (unless it is to pay for the pensions the owners have tried to not give to the life long coal miners that earned them). It's a dying industry in our country and it's been dying for the last 20 years. I want my tax dollars to go to the future for my son, and diversifying energy production to decrease dependence is a good idea.
Nuke plant construction might be given to lowest bidder, but the mechanical engineering minimum standards insure that minimum acceptable safety requirements are achieved by all bidders.
And the minimum standard costs too much now, so capitalism says it's a bad investment. Most countries that use large amounts of nuclear are using government run systems.
Once we get out population informed that the world isn’t going to end in 9 years, the green environmentalists will hopefully get their emotions under control and we can return to sanity and use what we have here to produce affordable energy rather than overpriced, unreliable, taxpayer subsidized alternative energy.
We do not need to debate the rate of climate change (9 years to the end is a bit drastic) but a lot is changing and I'm more worried about 30 years from now. I would ask though that you show me some evidence that the alternative energies are overpriced and unreliable still? Texas had an energy crisis because their fossil fuel system failed, not the alternatives. Since, Texas has increased funding to alternative to be more diverse.

/ Fighting 'Solar Farm' Installation #536  
I totally get “highest & best use” of land. If solar rent pays more than crops, what farmer wouldn’t shed his equipment and rent his land.
Once you cover land with solar panels, it sharply limits options. “Raising sheep” is such a micro-ag industry. VERY few farmers would want to drop hay or row crops and pick up 500 sheep to make a living.
If we mine coal here and sell it to China, what have we accomplished? Seems to me mining coal is mining coal, no matter who it gets sold to. If we continue to mine coal here and send it to China then they pollute the atmosphere and continue the greenhouse gasses, then what on earth has been saved? If we were resolutely committed to reducing “global climate change”, then we would stop mining and selling coal, especially if it goes to China, since they don’t care about smokestack emissions. After all, they are a “developing nation”, right?

Natural gas and Nukes are the answer, but the environmentalist religious cult makes the rules now.
Wind, solar and hydro generation produces 20% of US electricity. Wind and solar will account for 60% of added generation capacity in the US this year. Nuclear power plants generate 18% of power with that figure declining rapidly. Five nuclear plants were shuttered in the last two years. Renewable energy is the path we are on.

/ Fighting 'Solar Farm' Installation #537  
It is kinda funny that there is such animosity towards using natural resources to our advantage. Farms used windmills long ago before electricity. We have used hydropower for quite a long time and you hear very few complaints about that.

Of course I think fossil fuels as a natural resource as well. Use it all and any of it if you want.

/ Fighting 'Solar Farm' Installation #539  
I would not put marijuana in the same category as alcohol, coke, heroin, LSD.

Marijuana usage by humans dates back Before Christ
So does alcohol. Even Christ was reputed to have turned water into wine.

Status
Not open for further replies.