Fighting 'Solar Farm' Installation

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Fighting 'Solar Farm' Installation #511  
Who needs facts and a spreadsheet when your gut tells you the answer.

/ Fighting 'Solar Farm' Installation #512  
Who needs facts and a spreadsheet when your gut tells you the answer.
since theres little to no unbiased “facts” or spreadsheets available with unbiased information, sometimes YOU have to make the call based on what you see.
Nuclear power is the way. I know it and don’t need g______t biased “facts” to convince me otherwise. Coal and NG can be cleaned up tremendously, but the current g_______t made promises to its vocal environmentalist voting block.

Last edited:
   / Fighting 'Solar Farm' Installation #514  
This is where I have questions. What do they mean “too expensive to burn clean coal”? Too expensive for the end user? Too expensive compared to nuke, wind, solar?
OR too expensive to pay fines for burning coal (if there were any) compared to energy sources that are subsidized by taxpayer money confiscation?

I mean like how can adding a scrubber to a coal power plant be more expensive than building 200 giant windmills? The coal plant, the RR tracks, the work force, the infrastructure is already there.
I am skeptical that adding scrubbers costs more than scrapping everything and building enough windmills and solar panels to uptake all the energy produced by the coal plant.

VERY skeptical.

The recent history:

coal from the Powder River Basin was blended into the fuel beginning in 2000.[6] LO-NOx burners were installed in both boilers in 2001 to curtail nitrogen oxide (NOx) emissions.[6] NOx emissions were reduced again in 2008 with selective non-catalytic reduction (SNCR) systems being retrofitted by Fluor to Big Brown's units.[7][8] The plant was temporarily idled in 2011 in order to overhaul its boilers.[9] This was to fulfill the United States Environmental Protection Agency's (EPA) Cross-State Air Pollution Rule to reduce its sulfur dioxide (SO
2) emissions.[9]

The reason stated for shutdown

It was announced on October 13, 2017 that Luminant was to either shut down or sell to another concern Big Brown in early-2018 due to economic factors such as low natural gas prices and growth in renewable energy.

I guess this old coal plant wasn’t subsidized well enough

Low natural gas prices is a real reason, no doubt.

My grandfather worked at this plant in environmental instrumentation mostly. He knew for 20 years the EPA was pushing the restrictions on coal to make operating cost prohibitive when compared to natural gas. Now keep in mind this plant was first operational in 1971, upgrades throughout its life, but it was still an old, relatively small 1,150MW plant.

/ Fighting 'Solar Farm' Installation #516  
Yep. My son went to Mount St. Mary’s University. Their campus had a 100+ acre solar farm. The power was used 50-100 miles away in Baltimore.
It’s a great/sneaky way for urban/city to punish country folks.

Put solar panels right in the cities, where they belong. They leave their lights on all night because of crime and to show off their buildings, so let them deal with the windmills and the solar panels.

Forgot your son went to the mount.
I know that solar farm well.

/ Fighting 'Solar Farm' Installation #517  
Burning fossil fuels = not clean
Nuclear = not clean
Hydro = not clean
Solar = not clean
Wind = not clean
Tidal = not clean
Wood/biomass = not clean
Geothermal = not clean

*Add the word ‘clean’ in front of any of the above categories = not clean

Perhaps we need a new metric

Is there a rating system that could possibly compare all the elements of just how ‘not clean’ all of these producers could be?
Perhaps using the word "clean" is just a clever narrative tool to fool the people.

Perhaps a non-clean (another clever narrative tool) energy source is not harmful to our society when compared to natural events that we can't control like forest fires or volcano eruptions.

We know the smog problems of the past have been greatly reduced and future systems will probably be more efficient.

Remember the old adage ... "if it ain't broke don't fix it"

/ Fighting 'Solar Farm' Installation #518  
We have including my own brother. In his case it could be alcohol also, but anything...alcohol, marijuana, coke, heroin, LSD...I'm sure causes brain damage (quantity & frequency). I'm not a physician just observation. Pot users will defend it's use vigorously.
I would not put marijuana in the same category as alcohol, coke, heroin, LSD.

Marijuana usage by humans dates back Before Christ

/ Fighting 'Solar Farm' Installation #519  
Didn’t Europe, Germany, etc. try wind and solar and now they’re firing up coal plants again?

/ Fighting 'Solar Farm' Installation #520  
Didn’t Europe, Germany, etc. try wind and solar and now they’re firing up coal plants again?
Yup! After we blew up North Stream 1 & 2 they knew their virtue signaling renewable energy projects would not suffice.

Status
Not open for further replies.