Fertilizing for next year

/ Fertilizing for next year #1  

Hay Dude

Super Star Member
Tractor
Challenger MT655E, Massey Ferguson 7495, Challenger MT535B, Krone 4x4 XC baler, Kubota F3680 & ZD331 Ram 5500 Cummins 4x4, IH 7500 4x4 dump truck, Kaufman 35’ tandem 19 ton trailer, John Deere CX-15
Each fall, we begin the long process of fertilizing fields with mushroom compost. I got underway Monday with this Customer’s field.
Some nice scenery and a little Clay & Buck on the radio and I’m good to go.

Here’s the Challenger making use of that 8’ high capacity bucket I just picked up.

1669938894248.jpeg

Here’s the Massey 7495 hooked up to the Artex SB600 spreader. I usually use the Magnum 270, but its getting some work done. Its a little light for hilly work, so need to be careful going downhill. Things can get sideways in a hurry if you’re not careful

1669939026750.jpeg

Returning to the pile with Massey & Artex. We are spreading 40 tri-axle loads, so it’s quite a process.

1669939441150.jpeg

Loading another

1669939352682.jpeg

Was treated to a nice East Penn Railroad train

1669939559121.jpeg

By the end of the 2nd day, we reduced the 40 loads down to about 14

1669940448573.jpeg

Getting pretty late. Last load with lights on. Quittin time.

1669939635634.jpeg

Last edited:
   / Fertilizing for next year #2  
quite a material & equipment set up. looks like good source for organic material. what is the equivalent nitrogen, phosphorus & potassium rating? will you top dress w/more nitrogen in the spring? regards

/ Fertilizing for next year #3  
The farmer who leases my 20 acres next to my house recently asked if it was ok if they spread chicken litter this winter. Hmmm? I asked if he would plant some type of cover crop so I didn’t have the dust and cotton stalks in view for 5 months. Agreed 👍.
Win-Win for us both.

/ Fertilizing for next year #4  
The funny thing about this site is how many things you never knew you wanted, all of a sudden become something that I have to have. I've discovered that I want a manure spreader!!!! Nothing as big as yours, but something to deal with what's around the hay ring, and eventually inside my barn when I build it and get my cows here. We're just now starting to build the manure pile, which will probably continue to grow for several years. It's just funny how this has become a thing for me all of a sudden.

/ Fertilizing for next year #5  
I'm always amazed by how much tongue weight solid manure spreaders carry compared to liquid tanks.

/ Fertilizing for next year
quite a material & equipment set up. looks like good source for organic material. what is the equivalent nitrogen, phosphorus & potassium rating? will you top dress w/more nitrogen in the spring? regards
www.mushroomcompost.org

Click the “hayfields” tab and it will give you a lot of useful information

Probably no nitrogen in spring. I honestly don’t have much need for it anymore. Trying to steer clear of chemical nitrogen and herbicides altogether.

Last edited:
   / Fertilizing for next year #7  
www.mushroomcompost.org

Click the “hayfields” tab and it will give you a lot of useful information

Probably no nitrogen in spring. I honestly don’t have much need for it anymore.
This is quite impressive, I was going to ask the same about nitrogen. With the price of fertilizer, glad you don't need it!! Sorry if I have missed the story in previous posts: How much land and inputs do you have in the production of the shrooms?

Best,

ed

This is quite impressive, I was going to ask the same about nitrogen. With the price of fertilizer, glad you don't need it!! Sorry if I have missed the story in previous posts: How much land and inputs do you have in the production of the shrooms?

Best,

ed
I don’t produce mushrooms. I’m a hay grower.
I currently have about 400 acres in hay and some smaller pieces in other agriculture ventures.
My area is a very easy area to sell hay for 2 reasons
1. We have a lot of horse owners
2. We have the largest mushroom industry in the world.

I grow hay with the intention of making as much feed hay as possible as organically as possible. Not an easy task without using herbicides and chemical fertilizers.
A lot of my hay doesn’t meet my standards as horse hay, so I sell it off as cow hay. If it doesn’t meet those standards, it’s sold as mushroom hay.

I'm always amazed by how much tongue weight solid manure spreaders carry compared to liquid tanks.
Tankers also run brakes, yet manure spreaders rarely do. Tankers on the road a lot more. My 2 bigger tractors have hydraulic and air brake hook ups. It would be nice to have brakes on steep hills.
Once the ass end starts sliding, it‘ll put a scare in ya. Brakes would stop the pushing.

/ Fertilizing for next year #10  
I don’t produce mushrooms. I’m a hay grower.
I currently have about 400 acres in hay and some smaller pieces in other agriculture ventures.
My area is a very easy area to sell hay for 2 reasons
1. We have a lot of horse owners
2. We have the largest mushroom industry in the world.

I grow hay with the intention of manuermaking as much feed hay as possible as organically as possible. Not an easy task without using herbicides and chemical fertilizers.
A lot of my hay doesn’t meet my standards as horse hay, so I sell it off as cow hay. If it doesn’t meet those standards, it’s sold as mushroom hay.
All good, do you trade hay for the shrooms, or is there just a lot of "left overs" cheap? I only ask cause I would love to be able to top dress 30 or 40 acres of rocky clay with that. I had my fill of manure spreaders when I was a kid, but, spreading shrooms with cabbed tractor might not be so bad:)

Best,

ed