Ferguson excessive smoking

/ Ferguson excessive smoking #11  
Black is fuel related which can include lack of air passage through the "air pumping" system....clogged intake/exhaust system or injectors/pump not functioning properly.

Blue is oil burning usually caused by worn piston rings, or if bad enough worn, bad valve guides. Engine oil level could also be too high, dirty oil, viscosity too low for a few more.

White is moisture in the combustion system from whatever source.

/ Ferguson excessive smoking #12  
do u notice a more obvious blue puff when cold starting or after running hot and shut off then start again?

has it always run this way or just started gradually getting worse over the past 5 yrs or specific period of time?

is the blue smoke worse or different at idle vs WOT?

does the tractor use engine oil?

more so than your neighbors?

/ Ferguson excessive smoking #13  
The video is still not viewable on my computer.. Can u snap a couple of pic of the inj. pump?
Can u raise the hood & snap a couple of pics of the air intake, where it goes from plastic/rubber to metal..??

/ Ferguson excessive smoking
here's the same video, but the link afaik is not permanent. WeTransfer

It'll take some days before I make the previously proposed checks and collect information.

/ Ferguson excessive smoking #15  
If its a CAV pump/system.. some of them had a cold start devise the was screwed into the air intake pipe.. Called a thermostart..
The thermostart was fed fuel from the injection pump & was electrically controlled by the key switch..
They use to burn up all the time & the fuel would still drip into the intake pipe.. causing massive amounts of smoke..
That's why I want the pictures of the intake piping & inj. pump..

/ Ferguson excessive smoking #16  
heck that looks normal to me for a diesel of that vintage - my 310 german smokes like that and has for many many years and doesn't burn oil or anything I think its just the nature of the beast from what I have read -

/ Ferguson excessive smoking #17  
heck that looks normal to me for a diesel of that vintage - my 310 german smokes like that and has for many many years and doesn't burn oil or anything I think its just the nature of the beast from what I have read -
That's what I thought on the 2000. No doubt the engine is tight as I can let it sit for weeks and hop on, roll the starter and in just a few seconds it lights off. In the winter seldom do I need the glow plugs, both indicating good compression/aka good rings. Oil pressure hops right up to 45-50 and stays there cold and after a hard run it stays above 35. Doesn't consume oil, but drips fluids here and there....not worth attempting to stop it....do more harm than good and expense isn't necessary.

/ Ferguson excessive smoking #18  
That's not excessive.. that's an old worn out tractor.. lol

/ Ferguson excessive smoking #19  
If its a CAV pump/system.. some of them had a cold start devise the was screwed into the air intake pipe.. Called a thermostart..
The thermostart was fed fuel from the injection pump & was electrically controlled by the key switch..
They use to burn up all the time & the fuel would still drip into the intake pipe.. causing massive amounts of smoke..
That's why I want the pictures of the intake piping & inj. pump..

My thoughts exactly here to. I reckon the heater plug is leaking internally into the air and on into the head.

OP when you start it at first is it very smokey?

Worth taking out the heater plug and out a bolt or something in the threads and start it let it run for a while so any diesel in the head will burn up. Then try it again when the engine cools/next day with the plug still.out

/ Ferguson excessive smoking #20  
My thoughts exactly here to. I reckon the heater plug is leaking internally into the air and on into the head.

OP when you start it at first is it very smokey?

Worth taking out the heater plug and out a bolt or something in the threads and start it let it run for a while so any diesel in the head will burn up. Then try it again when the engine cools/next day with the plug still.out

That is a good point I didn't think about....makes sense that it could be leaking.

No biggie to test. I don't remember if it's a ス or セ" pipe plug. Get one and pull it out, plug the hole and run it with it out where you can see if it's leaking. If you want to run it while it's out to see if the heater gets hot and it starts slobbering you need to ground the case good....pulls pretty good amps when heating.

You can pull it out and stick your finger in the manifold. If it was leaking you'd have an oily mess under it. Course there could be some oil residue left from when it was operated. Worth a check.

I bought one for my 3000 years ago. Was easy to find and not all that expensive as I recall....don't remember where I got it, Ford-NH dealer probably.