Fencing

/ Fencing #1  

workinonit

Elite Member
Tractor
JD 5090E
I am about to put up some 8' fixed knot field fence. I've done a lot of things and even a bit of fencing back when I was young and had horses but it's been a while. I have all of my gates, corners and H sections up and ready for the fencing. I will have to come back and install some 10' T posts in between after the fence is up. My question for those of you that do this frequently is: How do you determine the correct tension for the fencing when you are stretching it. I'm not overly worried about it, I think I can figure it out when I get started but any advice from you guys would be welcome.

/ Fencing #2  
If it's flat land and straight lines, it's not difficult to stretch each section up to 330' at a time. If you have hills and valleys, and corners or radiuses that becomes more challenging to get the right tension without pulling up the posts - you may need more pull points and H braces in this case. Temperature also effects the stretch and tension - warmer is better to stretch the fence.

If it's standing up and not slumping though with 8' high fence getting it raised up is going to be challenging. I put spikes in the wood posts at the height needed then stretched and lifted onto the spikes.

Defintely get a fencing nailer - I bought a Freeman nailer - it can put in 2 1/2" staples - was a life saver!

/ Fencing
It's dead flat land. Only 4 rolls of wire. I think the longest single pulls are 2 of about 270 feet. The wire will be here Monday. I have a way to unroll it upright I'm thinking about using some Tposts to sandwich the wire between it and the wood posts and hold it upright. I sure as heck hope I don't have to stretch this wire tight enough that there's a danger of pulling a post down while doing it. My end posts are 6"x6" in a 12" hole with a full 4' in the ground and at least 300# of concrete around each one of them. All the posts are braced. I'm not buying a $750 nail gun for 4 rolls of fence and to use this one time.

/ Fencing
The pneumatic wouldn't be too bad but I don't know if my little gen will run my little compressor.

/ Fencing #6  
I've got the Freeman fence Nailer doing nothing in my barn and could ship it to you. I'll send you a PM if interested.

It doesn't take a lot of air - a small tank (3 Gal) of air gets about 6 posts nailed on 4' fence posts every 15' or about 100' of fence. I had it in the bucket of tractor then I would go back and plug in when I wasn't close enough.

/ Fencing #7  
My fence has these little guys for fine tension adjustment after the fence has been strung
1708175936656.png

/ Fencing #8  
The pneumatic wouldn't be too bad but I don't know if my little gen will run my little compressor.
Well, how small is small?

It would be pretty easy to test; fire up the generator, let it warm up, and then see if it starts the compressor.

My little 4kW had no trouble running a small craftsman compressor for a couple thousand feet of three board fence.

All the best,

Peter

Last edited:
   / Fencing
Small is 2 kW. I bought it to run power tools for working remotely on the farm. I have a 25 kW PTO gen that I could use if I need to. The 2 kW should run it. It will run off of a 20 amp circuit just fine. I'm not at home to test run the compressor right now but that's obviously how that will go down. Thanks for the tip.

/ Fencing #10  
I've never done 8 foot fencing, but I would guess it's similar to 4 foot, just heavier. I use a metal stretcher bar from Kencove that cost me a little over a hundred bucks a few years ago. Before that, I was bolting two 2x6's together, but that didn't work as good as the metal stretcher bar. For just 4 rolls, you're probably fine with 2x6's.

To pull my fence, I park my backhoe where it lines up with the fence, then run chains from the backhoe to a Come Along at the bottom and another at the top of the fence. Then I just tighten it as tight as I can get it. From what I've read, you never want to straighten out the tension bends in the wire. I'm not strong enough to get it that tight, but I guess I could if I used the hydraulics on the backhoe. But there isn't any reason to get it tighter then I can with the Come Alongs. It's pretty tight!!!!!

378137923_10231270080077979_6341709983466724046_n.jpg IMG_0010.JPG

For me, the biggest challenge was figuring out how to unroll the wire. It's only 200 feet, but it's still super heavy and awkward. I didn't want to spend the money on something from the store, so I used what I had. I put my hay spear at the tips of my pallet forks, then slid a pipe over the hay spear and cut a round disk from plywood for the wire to sit on. My first disk was too small, but now I have it big enough to keep the wire on there while I'm backing up.

376258066_10231269405021103_2636070048400434012_n.jpg IMG_0006.JPG