Fencing and Posts

/ Fencing and Posts
My main concern now is; although not my property, the neighboring parcels are vacant, out of state owners, and I do some times use one as the easy way to get the trailer, and as a back up/turn around. Guess I'll have to be careful backing up for a while, till I get used to it.

/ Fencing and Posts #52  
I'd say you are safe with 10-12' between T posts Wood - T-T-T -Wood set up makes a wood post every 40-45' so on 1000 Ft that's 30-35 wood posts less corner bracing etc.

The T posts really just keep it in line and vertical, but you could run a heavier top wire too would help if you have horses/cattle trying to eat on the other side.

/ Fencing and Posts #53  
My main concern now is; although not my property, the neighboring parcels are vacant, out of state owners, and I do some times use one as the easy way to get the trailer, and as a back up/turn around. Guess I'll have to be careful backing up for a while, till I get used to it.
Most ajoining properties here have gates between them. Main purpose is to get the livestock back to where they belong after the fence is compromised.

When I rebuilt the fences here I talked to my neighbors about keeping the gates in the locations they were before the rebuild.

Ended up working out very good, as 7 years later I needed concrete trucks to pour a footing. My bridge would not hold the weight of the concrete truck, but my neighbors bridge would. Got there permission to cross there property to get it poured.
They joked about the good neighbor fence and gate.
They truly are good neighbors.

/ Fencing and Posts #54  
Around here we have gates to the neighbors in case of fire, if you don't have time to grab horses etc or if they're too spooked to catch, open the gates and go

I put gates in my fences in each direction; there's a man gate on one stretch where there's a steeper hill that I'll never take a tractor through, and a 12' gate on another section for the aforementioned neighbor passage (I occasionally mow a couple spots for him too, good neighbor points).

If you just have a fence that's easily climbed through the man gates aren't important but I've got 2x4 woven wire everywhere and don't like having to walk halfway across the property too find a way to the other side of the fence.

/ Fencing and Posts #55  
I'm building a fence around my place to keep cattle, horses and goats in, but also to keep wild hogs out. For my fence, I'm putting 6 inch round posts in at my corners, and every 100 feet. I'm putting 6 foot T posts in every ten feet. My fence is four feet tall, 2x4 horse fence. It's super expensive, but because of my goats and horses, I don't want to use anything with a smaller spacing. I also use the same 2x4 fencing on my dog yard.

From what I'm seeing, your costs are about as good as I've seen. I just paid $5.09 for 6 foot T posts.

If you are going to add wood rails to the posts, then the 8 foot spacing makes sense, but then you really don't want to try to attach wood rails to T posts. I would reconsider that idea and then spread you T posts out farther. For high tensile field fence, you can easily go 15 feet apart for your T posts. Especially if all you are doing is marking your property line and keeping your dogs in. I've read that some high tensile fence manufactures say that you can go 25 feet in spacing your T posts. Where I have my cows, I've been paying attention to what everyone else is doing, and it's all over the place. I've seen T posts spread out 15 feet apart, and running for thousands of feet with just T posts. I've also seen fence lines with all wood posts without any T posts used to hold in cattle. I'm not sure if there is an actual wrong or right way to do this since nobody really seems to know, or care. My goal is to build it as good as I can, and not have to do it again.

How are you stretching your wire? I bought one of these 4 foot stretcher bars from Kencove that I highly recommend. I put a come along on the top and another on the bottom, and I can really pull the fence tight quickly and easily on my own. I use my backhoe with some chains to anchor the come along's.

View attachment 805362
We run 3,000 mama cows. Not counting calves and bulls. Many miles of junkified fence. Never had any get out.

/ Fencing and Posts
The one side with a aerial power easement half on mine/half on neighbors parcel, I'm putting a 10 ft gate that I had in the bone yard. The Green outline is roughly what still needs fenced. Gate on left side of picture.

Wife wants to install gate opener on the main 16 ft gate at the road.
Screenshot_20230620_202428_BaseMap.jpg