FEL Problem

/ FEL Problem #1  

kawallace

Tractor
Kubota B7500HSD
I have been having an off and on problem with the control for my FEL, during use of the joy stick the bucket will not lower unless I put it in the float position.... turning off the tractor and letting it sit for a few minutes returns the control to normal operations. Can anyone give me some ideas on what is causing this and how to correct....thanks Wally

/ FEL Problem #2  
Wally, not being a tractor mechanic, just a puddler, I would hazard a guess of some sort of obstruction, such as an air bubble, or piece of teflon tape (maybe), but don't take my word for this, wait for the guys to see your post tomorrow, I'm sure they will have an answer for you! Good Luck in troubleshooting...but with ol'timers, luck isn't needed as they been there, done that.

/ FEL Problem #3  
Keith,
Have you checked,
1.fluid level.
2.when was the last time you change your hydraulic filter.
3.Is your directional control valve open.
4.Maybe some kind of lube sprayed around the joy stick.

Take care and stay /w3tcompact/icons/cool.gif

Thomas..NH

/ FEL Problem #4  
A couple pieces of information would be useful to sort out the problem. First, will the loader definitely not raise when it won't lower? Second, can the relief valve be heard when trying to lower the bucket? Does the 3ph lift when the loader doesn't work? And, it's not clear if the bucket lowers immediately, or after, several minutes after, shutdown. These things should be determined when the power steering isn't on. I guess another question is whether the power steering can be heard when the bucket won't lower.

Couple of possibilities: The easy one is that it's a priority problem. The 3ph may be lifting (even slightly), so the loader doesn't work. Whether the 3ph get priority depends on the tractor. However, with that sort of thing, the loader probably would lift either, and the relief valve wouldn't open.

I had nearly the thing you describe once when I didn't get a quick connect fitting firmly seated. The relief valve could be heard immediately when the lever was pulled one way, and after a short delay when pulled the other way. You might check any quick connectors. Note that a tractor shouldn't be run very long when the relief valve is opening--it's hard on the pump and the oil heats up.

A third easy thing to check is whether the power steering is working when the loader doesn't. There is a priority valve that takes oil for the steering first. In a normally working hydraulic system, the steering shouldn't take enough oil to prevent other hydraulics from working, but is a long shot possibility.

A bucket should lower when the engine is off. It doesn't need pressure, the weight should be enough to cause return oil flow from the cylinder through the return lines to the sump. If not, there is an obstruction. Note that the bucket lower return lines are also the bucket lift pressure lines. Many types of obstructions that would prevent a bucket lowering would also interfere with the lift.

I believe the float position simply connects the pressure and return lines in the circuit so oil can flow from one side of the cylinder to the other as the bucket follows the contour of the ground. The fact that the float position lowers the bucket when the bucket circuit won't probably eliminates the cylinders, lines and connectors as sources of the problem. The final easy thing is to change the oil and filter if it hasn't been done recently. I got a piece of rubber boot out of my sump when I changed oil.

/ FEL Problem #5  
OK I have to ask What is a FEL?

/ FEL Problem #6  
FEL = Front End Loader
BH = Backhoe
TLB = Tractor/Loader/Backhoe

Just a few...

msig.gif

/ FEL Problem #7  
Rob -

Took me a while, too.

FEL = Front End Loader
ROPS = Rollover Protection System
FOPS = Falling Object Proctection System
HST = HydroStatic Transmission

Just FYI...

HarvSig2.gif

/ FEL Problem #8  
Wally - the same thing happened to me once and the cause was that suggested first by TomG, a priority problem. I could raise, dump, and curl the FEL, but not lower it unless I used the float position or turned off the tractor. After several minutes of this frustrating experience I discovered that the 3-pt control lever had somehow moved (who, me?) about a quarter of an inch and the 3-pt was therefore trying to raise against the hitch limiter of my BH. After discovering this I then heard the continuous hiss/whine of the relief valve. Restoring the position of the 3-pt to neutral restored full function of the FEL with no apparent harm (thankfully). I hope your problem can be solved as easily. It's been discussed a few times before on this board.
Ed

/ FEL Problem #9  
Harv, I believe that, in Kubotan, the S in ROPS is for "Structure". I would assume same for FOPS.