feeling stumped--advice needed

/ feeling stumped--advice needed #21  
   / feeling stumped--advice needed #22  
I have a large pit. 35 x 20 x 4 deep. I pile all burnables in the pit and torch it every winter. I don't bother with stumps on my 80 acres. Leave them where they are and they will rot out.

This procedure allows me to, quite easily, keep up with the dead trees, all the limbs, brush -etc.

/ feeling stumped--advice needed #23  
Anyone ever use a fan to force feed a fire? I'm thinking trench with a large fan at one end

My son's burn pit was about 4' deep x 12' diameter with a trench from the bottom to the surface in which we buried 20' of 6" pipe. He used a 5 or 7 amp "bouncy house" blower for the forced draft. It took about 12 hours of burn for a 6' diameter stump with (most of) the dirt washed off that had been allowed to dry for a year to be reduced to a 10" cube. The force draft makes the fire burn hotter and cleaner, less likely to have down-wind smoke complaints if you have to burn surreptitiously.

StumpApr18_4.jpg

If Pembroke, Ont. has geology like Lanark County, digging a 4' deep pit may be difficult.

/ feeling stumped--advice needed #24  
I’ve burned many a rootball…..but only after building multiple brush piles and bonfires over them. Sometimes it takes 3-4 raging bonfires and you wonder how anything could survive just one of them. They’re tough to burn.

I’ve also burnt stumps in the ground by building a “pup tent” over them with a two pieces of sheet metal and a fan blowing into one end. Not only does the fan provide more oxygen, but it does a good job of removing fire smothering ash.

/ feeling stumped--advice needed #25  
I burn everything brush and stump related (big piles because I am still clearing). Right now I have two dedicated burn piles that get burned twice a year. I end up with ashes stacked up in about a 3 ft tall pile. I take the ashes and spread throughout my yard on the grass and garden. Works good for me.

/ feeling stumped--advice needed #26  
I have 2 burn piles right now. They are both about 20 feet wide and 80 feet long. I'm still adding to them by making them longer. When I built my lake, I piled everything up in a line that was over 200 feet long. Light the fire at one end and let it go. I only burn right after a big rain, and only after all the leaves have fallen off of the dead trees. Ideally, I'll wait until winter when it's really wet out. For me, it's harder to burn a green pine then a stump. The stumps dry out fairly quickly, but a decent sized pine will hold moisture in it for a very long time. Now I try to cut each pine into four lengths so they dry out quicker.

In your case, I would build my burn pile in the center of your cleared area. Since the size of your burn pile is so small, I would just add to it as it goes to keep it going.

/ feeling stumped--advice needed #27  
I have 2 burn piles right now. They are both about 20 feet wide and 80 feet long. I'm still adding to them by making them longer. When I built my lake, I piled everything up in a line that was over 200 feet long. Light the fire at one end and let it go. I only burn right after a big rain, and only after all the leaves have fallen off of the dead trees. Ideally, I'll wait until winter when it's really wet out. For me, it's harder to burn a green pine then a stump. The stumps dry out fairly quickly, but a decent sized pine will hold moisture in it for a very long time. Now I try to cut each pine into four lengths so they dry out quicker.

In your case, I would build my burn pile in the center of your cleared area. Since the size of your burn pile is so small, I would just add to it as it goes to keep it going.
I have done a pile of burning during snowstorms. Love it. Get nice and muddy.

/ feeling stumped--advice needed #30