Farm fencing - augers vs post pounders

/ Farm fencing - augers vs post pounders #31  
@goeduck what are the details of your setup? tractor GPM flow and auger requirements? Also, what diameter holes were you drilling? Curious for a future purchase myself on just a small compact tractor.

/ Farm fencing - augers vs post pounders #32  
@goeduck what are the details of your setup? tractor GPM flow and auger requirements? Also, what diameter holes were you drilling? Curious for a future purchase myself on just a small compact tractor.
Tractor has 14 GPM, auger is a Danuser 1025 rated at 10-25 GPM. I have 6", 9" and 15" auger bits. The auger is slow (about 1 revolution per second), but I don't find that to be an issue other than I can't "spin off" the soil very well. I vibrate off the soil by fwd/rev the hydraulics quickly and, if needed, "tap" the auger head with the curl of the FEL. The nice thing about a hydraulic auger compared to a 3-point is that you can reverse the auger and get out of a stuck bit situation.

/ Farm fencing - augers vs post pounders #33  
Makes me glad that around here we use T-posts for our fences. T-145 steel posts and my homemade manual pounder. 650 steel posts and 28 rolls of barbed wire to surround my 80 acres.

Makes me REALLY glad that I did it 42 years ago. Today - it would be a project that I wouldn't even dream of taking on.............

/ Farm fencing - augers vs post pounders
Makes me glad that around here we use T-posts for our fences. T-145 steel posts and my homemade manual pounder. 650 steel posts and 28 rolls of barbed wire to surround my 80 acres.

Makes me REALLY glad that I did it 42 years ago. Today - it would be a project that I wouldn't even dream of taking on.............
Unfortunately time has caught up with my cedar fence posts and it's replacement time

/ Farm fencing - augers vs post pounders #35  
I had to have a surveyor help when I put in my perimeter fencing. The original survey was a government meets/bounds homestead survey. He read the wording and helped find the corners. There were still some old fence posts that existed from the original fence - 1892. We determined that these posts were Black Locust. Apparently it was the toughest wood around these parts. I still know where there are small groves of locust. Obviously planted by old homesteaders.

All other types of trees, around here, would never last that long. We have no types of cedar around here. Only pine and a few members of the birch family.

The old barbed wire the homesteader used had flat barbs. VERY heavy wire with flattened wire barbs. It wraps up around a tiller very well.