Excessive gear grind?

/ Excessive gear grind? #1  

DiskDoctr

Platinum Member
Tractor
Mahindra 3510
Greetings to all.

I just took delivery of my new 3510 last week and since this is the first Mahindra I've driven, I don't know if what I am experiencing is a problem, or by design.

Being used to older tractors (Ford 9N, MF TO20) and a Case 580K I am used to pushing in the clutch and waiting 10 secs or more then gently easing the gearshift into place. Sometimes "easing" with a good sharp push :)

The brochure says the 3510 uses synchromesh gears, which I thought would keep the gears closer to "synch", easing shifting.

I've found the gears to be the same as the older tractors, with grinding if one tries to shift without waiting about 5-10 secs after depressing the clutch.

I wonder if this is normal or if the shifting should be better? It does have 12 gears, so lots of gear surfaces moving around....

Has anyone else experienced the same, or different? In other words, should I have the dealer check it out, or was I just expecting too much?

[Be kind, over 25 yrs on older stuff, but none on these new fan-dangled, fancy "Farm SUV's" /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif ]

Thanks.

-JC

/ Excessive gear grind? #2  
I didn't go read the manual to verify this - but I believe that only forward - reverse and 3rd - 4th are "synched". At least my 3510 seems that way and I thought I did read that somewhere. I have concerns about the minimal "throw" in the low-med-hi range lever. Sometimes I wonder if it has really engaged completely. My old Rhino felt this way and would pop out of gear sometimes.