Ever Buried galvanized fencing????

/ Ever Buried galvanized fencing???? #2  
If ya did what kind and How long did it last?
I have an 8’ deer fence around my orchard and garden. I also buried some wire fencing about 1’ deep around the bottom of the fence to exclude rabbits. This has been in place for about 8 years and the buried fence is still sound but surface rusted. But I’m also in a drier climate, not the rust belt. If you do this, don’t bury your main fence in the ground; keep that above ground. Use a little short 2-3’ wide piece to bury. That way when it rusts out, you can remove it and the main fence is still sound.

/ Ever Buried galvanized fencing????
I'm in NJ where it's wet. I plan on trying to exclude moles voles groundhogs and such by burying a length of fence laying flat underground some three feet out from the vertical fence and bending along one side it to join the high tensile fencing.
The idea is mister groundhog will come up to the fence and instinctively start digging and then in 6 or so inches he'll hit steel and be frustrated no matter where he tries this and he won't think to step back away from the fence a few feet and trying again. A
If I lay galv' hardware cloth the holes should be small enough to also exclude the littler critters too

/ Ever Buried galvanized fencing???? #6  
Props to OP for burying flat vs vertical and tying into existing fence. Similar works inside the fence to keep dogs and other pets from digging out of their kennels/confines as most diggers/burrowers will just dig deeper holes otherwise. It may take 1/2" hardware cloth to keep out mice, voles, and shrews.

btw, For the last kennel/run I fixed up I used 4'x8' white plastic lattice cut to 16"x8' strips to cover 24' linear each and didn't need to tie into the fence. Bad news is that the owner tied his beagle to a rope outside when cleaning and when he finished the beagle had chewed her way loose and ran off.

Worse news is that after appealing for finders to contact when found someone did, then they vanished without returning the dog. Good luck keeping 'em in or out.

/ Ever Buried galvanized fencing???? #7  
I have a hog pen with hog panels buried shallow for about 12 yrs. Still solid but some rusting spots.

/ Ever Buried galvanized fencing???? #8  
I'm in NJ where it's wet. I plan on trying to exclude moles voles groundhogs and such by burying a length of fence laying flat underground some three feet out from the vertical fence and bending along one side it to join the high tensile fencing.
The idea is mister groundhog will come up to the fence and instinctively start digging and then in 6 or so inches he'll hit steel and be frustrated no matter where he tries this and he won't think to step back away from the fence a few feet and trying again. A
If I lay galv' hardware cloth the holes should be small enough to also exclude the littler critters too
I think that’s a good strategy, and when it rusts, it won’t affect your main fence.

/ Ever Buried galvanized fencing???? #9  
I have never buried galvanized fencing but I did pull some galvanized chicken wire out of the ground on my property that had been buried for at least a decade and it was in pretty good shape. Some rust spots but none of it was rusted through. It was completely buried except for a few places where it was coming out of the ground and got caught when I was doing a little landscaping with my backhoe. I ended up pulling a bunch of it up. I think it may have just been dumped and then covered with dirt when some previous owner pushed the dirt over it. I live north of Seattle and we get about 45 inches per year of rain here.
Eric

/ Ever Buried galvanized fencing???? #10  
Vertical won't deter moles. They dig horizontal. Voles are like mice. A fence won't stop them. They'll climb over it, or dig into a mole tunnel and use the free highway.

If you see nickel-size holes in mole tunnels, that's a good sign that voles are using the mole tunnels. Moles won't make holes in their tunnels to daylight.