Ever break a tap?

/ Ever break a tap? #12  
I welded everything to my 2 post lift. Well, I welded unistrut to the lift frame and attached everything to it. I mounted underneath facing lighting with the control box as well as the controls for the lift. Put my contactor for the lift motor on the frame as well.

/ Ever break a tap? #13  
If you're not already using it, a good cutting fluid can make a world of difference.
Note cutting fluid, not lubricating oil. Cutting fluid is designed to bring metals together, not keep them apart like lubricating oil

/ Ever break a tap?
Thanks for all the input. I thought about welding nuts to the column, but it's soo damn pretty, I'd hate to disturb that...

I'm expecting the extractor tomorrow, via UPS.

/ Ever break a tap? #15  
Spiral flute taps are more of machine taps than hand taps. I use them all the time when semi production tapping. Broke a few of them as well. Sometimes I'd like to have a wire EDM machine to remove them without scrapping the piece.
Have you seen these?

/ Ever break a tap? #16  
Broke plenty. Several methods to remove and its a case by case basis.

/ Ever break a tap? #18  
In my unfortunate experience with breaking taps sometimes easy outs I've used are somewhat brittle so I've used a needle punch to break them out, sometimes mangling hole but most of the time fortunate to be able to use a bigger size, or in other cases fill hole by welding and repeat with successful results. I do keep a printed chart taped to drawer with tap sizes with recommended hole size to drill. I also use oatey brand it's the thicker viscosity dark cutting and tapping fluid with good results and it's readily available almost everywhere I frequent.

/ Ever break a tap?
a printed chart taped to drawer with tap sizes with recommended hole size to drill.
What a great idea! I can't read the drill sizes laser printed(?) on these "new" taps.

/ Ever break a tap? #20  
I keep my cobalt bits in a index with sizes clearly marked on it, also have a cheap easy to read caliper lying around close by. Also fortunate to have a big enough tool chest where I can keep my tap and dies in there case which is also clearly marked. Nothing's more frustrating than not putting my tools back and keeping them organized. Until a few yrs ago screwed up a few tap projects cuz I didn't fully understand letter sizes.