Ethanol Free Gas

/ Ethanol Free Gas #61  
If memory serves the nearest WA locations are often on Reservation Land?
There are way more than you might think.

Gas.jpg

/ Ethanol Free Gas #62  
I know I went to Boston Harbor Marina with no luck... may have been timing?

It would be a miracle if you have a source in or around Oakland California.

Edit: It does show 19 for all of California...

Edit Update... Just called the nearest one listed in Sunol California and they do sell leaded racing fuel but no E0

The person I spoke to said not for a long time yet it still shows on pure gas.

Last edited:
   / Ethanol Free Gas #63  
While I do use E0 if its going in a can.....so mower, sxs, chainsaw, power washer, etc.....some people hype it to be the best thing in the world.

I know we have been dealing with ethanol for 20+ years now....and people tend to have a shorter memory.

Ethanol runs fine in small engines, the problem with some early small engines is that some of the rubber/fuel lines werent compatible and turned them to mush and you would have problems.

But pretty much any small engine made in the last 15-20 years...this is a non-issue. And I find it comical that there are some that point to ethanol as always the problem. No matter what the issue is, if a small engine isnt running right, some just insist its the gas.

But everyone saying things like "ethanol is fine if its burnt right away and not allowed to sit for a year or so".....do we all really have that short of a memory that we forgot that you cannot leave even pure gas sit for a long time? Remember before ethanol, if something sat for awhile the gas would varnish.....and you would still have to tear apart and clean a carb?

Yes its true that ethanol has lower BTU per volume. IE less energy. So less MPG. But whether the cost difference is worth it depends on everyone's unique situation and vehicle. Driving habits, how its tuned, etc. Gotta do your own math and see. Might actually be cheaper to run regular gas laced with ethanol. OR if you have a FLEX, E85 might actually be cheaper in terms of $$/mile.

In my unscientific approach....I always used regular gas in my scag mower. Havent had an issue in the 15 years since I have owned it. And it takes EXACTLY a 5gal can to mow my yard every week. This hardly ever waivers. Since a Sheetz went in a few years ago and I have a source for E0 I have been using it. Honestly dont notice any difference. Starts the same, first spring startup the same, and same exact 5 gal to mow.

And yes, it truly is E0 because I have done the water test mentioned earlier in this thread, and compared regular pump gas and (which is 10% around here) and E0.

Basically put some water in a pint jar, bout an inch. Take a sharpie and park the water line. Fill the rest with gas and shake. If it settles where the water line is right where you marked it that is E0. If there it apprears as the separation line increased.....that is the ethanol being pulled from the fuel and binding with the water. So that gas has ethanol.

Now if you want to measure how much the water increased in relation to the amount of gas you added....that is your ethanol percent.

/ Ethanol Free Gas #64  
While I do use E0 if its going in a can.....so mower, sxs, chainsaw, power washer, etc.....some people hype it to be the best thing in the world.

I know we have been dealing with ethanol for 20+ years now....and people tend to have a shorter memory.

Ethanol runs fine in small engines, the problem with some early small engines is that some of the rubber/fuel lines werent compatible and turned them to mush and you would have problems.

But pretty much any small engine made in the last 15-20 years...this is a non-issue. And I find it comical that there are some that point to ethanol as always the problem. No matter what the issue is, if a small engine isnt running right, some just insist its the gas.

But everyone saying things like "ethanol is fine if its burnt right away and not allowed to sit for a year or so".....do we all really have that short of a memory that we forgot that you cannot leave even pure gas sit for a long time? Remember before ethanol, if something sat for awhile the gas would varnish.....and you would still have to tear apart and clean a carb?

Yes its true that ethanol has lower BTU per volume. IE less energy. So less MPG. But whether the cost difference is worth it depends on everyone's unique situation and vehicle. Driving habits, how its tuned, etc. Gotta do your own math and see. Might actually be cheaper to run regular gas laced with ethanol. OR if you have a FLEX, E85 might actually be cheaper in terms of $$/mile.

In my unscientific approach....I always used regular gas in my scag mower. Havent had an issue in the 15 years since I have owned it. And it takes EXACTLY a 5gal can to mow my yard every week. This hardly ever waivers. Since a Sheetz went in a few years ago and I have a source for E0 I have been using it. Honestly dont notice any difference. Starts the same, first spring startup the same, and same exact 5 gal to mow.

And yes, it truly is E0 because I have done the water test mentioned earlier in this thread, and compared regular pump gas and (which is 10% around here) and E0.

Basically put some water in a pint jar, bout an inch. Take a sharpie and park the water line. Fill the rest with gas and shake. If it settles where the water line is right where you marked it that is E0. If there it apprears as the separation line increased.....that is the ethanol being pulled from the fuel and binding with the water. So that gas has ethanol.

Now if you want to measure how much the water increased in relation to the amount of gas you added....that is your ethanol percent.
Just one problem with your post. It contradicts itself. If ethanol is great than it should freely combine with gas and not with water.

The science is settled. Ethanol added to gasoline has a very limited shelf life. No problem if you buy it and use it (if the station you buy it from moves a lot of gas). Big problems if it sets around for months before being used.

/ Ethanol Free Gas #65  
"Oxygenates are fuel additives that contain oxygen, usually in the form of alcohol or ether. Oxygenates can enhance fuel combustion and thereby reduce exhaust emissions. Some oxygenates also boost gasoline octane. The Clean Air Act requires use of oxygenated gasoline in areas where winter time carbon monoxide levels exceed federal air quality standards. Without oxygenated gasoline, carbon monoxide emissions from gasoline-fueled vehicles tend to increase in cold weather. Winter oxygenated gasoline programs are implemented by the states."

https://www.epa.gov/gasoline-standards/gasoline-winter-oxygenates

Last edited:
   / Ethanol Free Gas
Yesterday, I went to the same gas station that I've been buying Ethanol Free Gas from and realized that not every pump has it. This is a huge gas station, but only the pumps at one end of all the pumps has it. If somebody was looking for it, drove up to the wrong end of the pumps and didn't see it, I hope they would keep looking for it.

I'm on my third tank of Ethanol Free Gas and my mileage is starting to slip back down. I'm at 17.1 mpg. It seems to have dropped a tenth every day since I hit the high of 17.5 mpg on my trip to Dallas. I guess the hundred miles of 80 to 90 mph driving gave me better mileage then 20 miles to the offramp, then another five miles of slow driving to the house. I haven't been anywhere else, and I can't explain the drop in mileage.

17.1 is still a lot better then the 14.1 mpg that I've been getting the last couple of years from the cheapest gas available, but it's .65 cents a gallon more, which is $16.25 more per fill up. I'm wondering if it's worth the extra money for the extra mileage?

/ Ethanol Free Gas #68  
I always buy E0 for the equipment and use E0 most of the time in the cars. The truck is flex fuel so it can use up to E85 if I choose to. It now has a tank of E0 in it.

/ Ethanol Free Gas #69  

17.1 is still a lot better then the 14.1 mpg that I've been getting the last couple of years from the cheapest gas available, but it's .65 cents a gallon more, which is $16.25 more per fill up. I'm wondering if it's worth the extra money for the extra mileage?
From a strictly cost basis simply figure out your cost per mile for each gas type. For instance if it costs you $2.65 for a gallon of EO to go 17.1 miles. 2.65/17.1=15.5 cents per mile.

E10 at 2.00 for a gallon that gives you 14.1 miles would cost 2.00/14.1=14.2 cents per mile.

Thus buying E0 gas cost you 1.3 cents more for every mile you drive.

/ Ethanol Free Gas
Thank you. I was hoping somebody would do the math for me!!!!