Ethanol Free Gas

/ Ethanol Free Gas #71  
Also, an E10 pump is not guaranteed to be E10 fuel. The label normally says "...up to 10% ethanol" so it may have E4 in it one day and E9 in it a week from now.

/ Ethanol Free Gas #72  
Thank you. I was hoping somebody would do the math for me!!!!
Only for the example of gas at $2 and $2.65 (E10 and E0). For instance if it is $3 and $3.65 respectfully:
3./14.1=21.3 cents per mile and 3.65/17.1= 21.3 cents per mile. At this you break even for cost.

/ Ethanol Free Gas #73  
The science is settled. Ethanol added to gasoline has a very limited shelf life. No problem if you buy it and use it (if the station you buy it from moves a lot of gas). Big problems if it sets around for months before being used.
Not necessarily. treated with Star Tron or StaBil there's no stratification for at least two years I've noticed.

/ Ethanol Free Gas #74  
Not necessarily. treated with Star Tron or StaBil there's no stratification for at least two years I've noticed.
I frankly consider all stabilizers as being snake oil. Hard to prove they do anything other than cost money. Octane boosters and fuel line dryers are a different matter.

/ Ethanol Free Gas #75  
I frankly consider all stabilizers as being snake oil. Hard to prove they do anything other than cost money. Octane boosters and fuel line dryers are a different matter.
Hmm. I've seen impressive results with stabilizers, but wouldn't put octane booster even in one of your vehicles.

It's actually specified in the owners manual in a few of ours not to use octane boosters.

/ Ethanol Free Gas #76  
Hmm. I've seen impressive results with stabilizers, but wouldn't put octane booster even in one of your vehicles.

It's actually specified in the owners manual in a few of ours not to use octane boosters.
Impressive by what metric? Octane boosters I am not recommending to use I simply say they boost octane. A measurable result.

One of the problems people have is they do not do a real comparison. Say take 10 gallons of gas and store in identicle containers in identical storage conditions. 1 with stabilizer added, one without. Now come back 2 years later and do a chemical analysis of the gasoline in the containers. Just saying a stabilizer has worked good for you does not say it has actually made any difference.

/ Ethanol Free Gas #77  
Big problems if it sets around for months before being used.
Impressive by having seen the results in real life. I'm one of those who don't go by what I come across on the internet, or even the manufacturer's claims. Instead I use products and see what happens.

You say that there will be problems with gas after months. Okay, it doesn't say two or 36 months, but I'm guessing you meant less than a year. Meanwhile, after two years I found no evidence of stratification using StaBil - which I have since stopped using after trying Star Tron.

But, that gas had definitely lost some of its luster...which at least partially came back after using Star Tron. Our Can-Ams actually prefer older gas and starts much better. That's with up to six year old gas, but it has been kept in air tight containers, then got some Star Tron added about 24 hours before being used.

Another vehicle that's easy to judge good or bad gas with is a Toyota 3-cylinder that I drive just about daily. There's something wrong with the EFI so it doesn't start well even on a good day when it's cold. Real life experience, again.

That tank with StaBil was 91 octane ethanol free, by the way. The current content is basic regular, now a bit over two years old. Nothing is the water separator filter (yet anyway) and the vehicles like it better. But, I have also eliminated the vented cap on it, which really seems to help.

Bottom line: No problems after two plus years, let alone big ones as mentioned above.
And several of our vehicles can sit for over six months with gas from gas stations (nothing added) and they still function just fine.

/ Ethanol Free Gas #78  
I agree. Some may have had issues with fuel storage, I have not. That's why I state it like that. Until I do have issues using pump gas, I will not use E0. I hear all the time that mechanics say its the cause of issues. I have yet to experience. Been doing things this way for 40 +/- years.

/ Ethanol Free Gas #80  
Yep. I want at least a year's worth of fill-ups (hand calculated) before I care to guess what the mileage is with any given vehicle.