Equipment break downs

/ Equipment break downs #1  

Oldpath05

Tractor
none
My son ran over a 10" log today and brought his old Army 6x6 to a stand still, a rear end control link come off the rubber bushing mount causing the rear rear end to go sideways and pulled driveshaft apart, then my son come up and got my 40 year old homemade square socket. Well he broke that but that can be expected with a 6' pipe on breaker bar, somethings going to break when just putting a pipe on.

So had to make new square part on square socket, used old piece of truck spring. Then we went down to the log pile. I took the hammer and banged the square lug nut hard, put pipe on bar and banged that hard and finally got the lug nuts to let go and off, pipe works best if hitting socket same time.

Then tried to knock the link arm back on the rubber mount, that didn't work so hooked winch cable on, son lined it up and I put tension on cable then with hammer at same time the link slipped back on, then brought 6x6 up the garage and he welded big washers back on the outer part, they was tacked on before but only can weld so much when theres a rubber mount on the metal pin. These rear end links are most likely original from 65 years ago and I think these square lug nuts are called Bud Wheel Nuts.
vMFLZH0h.jpg

vHPpSqHl.jpg

hzPNlOvl.jpg

xfx2xEQh.jpg

Below in middle of pic is the control link thingy
Wh5NzWAh.jpg

In pic below was first going to try taking the whole link off but after the nut was loose couldn't get a hammer on it to knock it off so put front part back on with help of winch cable...
O90HcYph.jpg

Tp56Bo5h.jpg

2WdRgPuh.jpg

/ Equipment break downs #3  
Least your son had decent place to work and good weather.

/ Equipment break downs #4  
Great "make do" lesson but is there a reason for keeping the square lug nuts? Are you planning a restoration? :confused3:

/ Equipment break downs #5  
Budd wheels are the worst to change wait till the cone nut comes off the wheel with the outer nut still attached and you need a torch to cut it off.. Or they loosen up and break all the inside studs......

/ Equipment break downs #6  
Budd wheels are the worst to change wait till the cone nut comes off the wheel with the outer nut still attached and you need a torch to cut it off.. Or they loosen up and break all the inside studs......

I hate Budd wheels. Do not miss them at all.

Still have the square sockets though.

Adjustments.jpg
Adjustments.jpg

No more truck wheels for me (I hope)

/ Equipment break downs
Great "make do" lesson but is there a reason for keeping the square lug nuts? Are you planning a restoration? :confused3:

Change is always expensive, so he uses as is the way it is, all its used for is load and unload wood.

/ Equipment break downs
I was wondering if there was square socket for those studs, wonder when the last year was Bud Wheels was installed from factory...

/ Equipment break downs #9  
I thought a budd wheel was every not Dayton truck wheel.

/ Equipment break downs
Did some repairs on wood slpitter this afternoon with some low/high 10018 stick. I notice on yesterdays repair job the rods would not run smooth and started extra hard and harder to stay lit for some reason, giving off more spatter then usual, well this afternoon it finally dawned on me after getting all upset and ready to throw the rods as far as could. I had my Dialarc on AC and didn't realize it til after I went through a dozen rods.

I didn't know low/high rods would run at all on AC, they didn't on my old Sears AC buzz box, and they wouldn't run at all on my AC/DC Century welder I had 15 years ago unless on DC. But once I moved the lever didn't they run smooth, gee I thought the rods got old if thats possible or somethings wrong with the Miller Dialarc and I had to invest in a green machine....

All this bracket is, is just to hook my bucket teeth on so to quickly-ish move splitter back and forth.

QzhI5Qrh.jpg

NQ6E3hkh.jpg

kZGGHP2h.jpg

E0MDWNah.jpg

tfjAnNTh.jpg

jaY7Qxzh.jpg