Entry Level Welding Help

/ Entry Level Welding Help #21  
$250 sounds like a deal to me. Even at $300 thats $1 an hour.

/ Entry Level Welding Help #22  
Power was a consideration for me so I went with the 120vac lincoln. Came with the gas setup so its there if I decide to use it..

The main reason was power and portability for me.
I have yet to use it on any thing that , as mentioned with more time and patiants, I could not manage. Again as others have stated I'm no welder and my work ain't Pretty. Just ask my neighbor (is a welder) he always chuckles but inspects the work for to show me what I need to look for and what to expect.... an advantage many don't have.....

But I just keep playing, he has a stick welder for the thick stuff or when I don't have all time to play. I tack and take it next door for the stick.....

Back to power, I did not whish to shell out the $ to install a 220 plug at the oposite end of the house and then be tied there.
So I went with the 120 unit and was pluging into a 15amp plug....bad idea not enough current draw. Got tired of tripping the breaker. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif
So I finaly dug up the plug and wire and breaker (left over from my electric days)and ran a 20 amp ckt spent $30 plus sweat if bought new. took 30min... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

the 50amp breaker alone is $30 or more plus wire and conduit for a 220 connection and is tied there. Unless you have a generator that can handle it.... I think the 220 unit draws around 40 amps or so at peak. Ask my neighbor how long you can weld with stick on a 30amp breaker. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Tried to tell him... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Think I'll suprise him with the 50 amp breaker I found last weekend...

I will say I love it it's great to know if I cut off to much metal I can always put it back on... Try that with a 2x4 /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Entry Level Welding Help #23  
I will say I love it it's great to know if I cut off to much metal I
can always put it back on... Try that with a 2x4 ... A fellow I ran into liked woodworking, I said I liked welding, He said ..I can burn my mistakes, I couldn't argue with that.

/ Entry Level Welding Help #24  
Hi Guys:

I do ALOT of welding about 50% of my job is welding related. We use mostly MIG and all 220volt Miller 200s or 250s but we have other machines too (pretty much all miller though) and weld lots of Stick on anything pretty heavy it usuakky is sticked. our migs are great up to 3/8" mild steel and we have one that can spray arc at over 400 amps! at that range any exposed skin will be burnt to a crisp if it is with in about 20 feet of the arc! you don't even want to be in the room with out helmit on it is so bright!. Welding up flanges for pipe that are 4" wide and 1.5~2" thick in single passes!

anyhow first I woudl suggest you take the local JVS school's tech class. should be less expensive than a collage type class and you will get more hands on training. this will give you the information you need to decide WHAT type of home/farm welding you will be doing. so everyone of us can say this or that is better but the truth is YOU have to decide what is best for you're needs! If you plan on just repairing a broken / cracked box blade ones every couple years then a 110 volt $99.00 AC buzzbox type welder will work, if you plan on going into welding broken stuff for a living then you need a goor MIG and AC/DC stick/TIG combo welders. and if you planb on welding up a small sheet metal part on a car once a year or so then one of the cheap 110 vac wire feeds with out gas would work (but with gas is better) (the 110 wire feed welders have poor wire feeding from MY personal experiance but I'm spoiled with GREAT production type equipment!)

so get soem classes to SEE if you even NEED to buy a welder it may be something you totally HATE and wouldn't ever do again if you had to!

Mark M

/ Entry Level Welding Help #25  
If you have a tech-school in your area that teaches welding get some basic instruction BEFORE you buy any equipment. Welding is far more than joining metal. Also youre likely to get hands on w/ different brands and types of equipment too. Theres no way you could do that on your own (unless youre very wealthy).
The summer long class I took a few yrs ago started w/ gas welding and went thru stick vertical up and down and everything in between plus LOTS of safety. It was a lot to cover! We also talked about proper bead size and controlling distortion. It was money well spent in that it kept me from making expensive mistakes (in equipment purchase and use). It also gave me the knowledge to tackle various welding problems when working on my own projects.

/ Entry Level Welding Help #26  
"I can burn my mistakes".... Metel can burn to!!!, the question is how much wood would it take to get the fire hot enough.?. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif or To alteast melt it.... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

If you don't believe metal will burn grab some steel wool and a lighter... I suggest you don't hold it in your hand...the steel wool that is..... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Entry Level Welding Help #27  
/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif Actually you can get away w/ very little fuel if you add plenty of O2. This is how cutting torches work...a little heat and *lots* of O2.

/ Entry Level Welding Help #28  
Hi
can you explain why you need lots of O2?

charlie

/ Entry Level Welding Help #29  
Adding oxygen makes it hotter. The more you add the hotter it gets, to a point. The oxygen in basic terms is adding more air, more air = more burning.

/ Entry Level Welding Help #30  
Yes, a cutting torch uses a preheat flame to heat the steel above its kindling temp. Then the torch's O2 lever is activated which 'squirts' a stream of high pressure O2 onto the hot steel. By delivering a higher than normal level of O2 to the hot steel it burns. Theres not enough O2 in the atmosphere to cause this w/o a boost (which comes from your torch). While the steel is burning you're not consuming anymore fuel gas but ALOT more O2. Hence the stmt 'you need alot of O2'. I think the ratio is something like 8 (or more) to 1 O2 to fuel gas. Ive had my gas rig now for 3 yrs and have used nearly no acetylene but most of full large cylinder (80cf...I think) of O2.