engineless tractor

/ engineless tractor #1  

20 20

Elite Member
Didn't know if this had been posted before, thought some might find it interesting.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eON30MjT8fU&feature=related]Allis-Chalmers: Fuel Cell Tractor - YouTube[/ame]

/ engineless tractor #2  
Interesting, I wonder why it wasn't pursued further. Maybe they might look at the concept again one day.

/ engineless tractor #4  
I guess if it anything like free energy the large corporations will soon put a stop to it. They wouldn't want farmers to stop buying their fuel.

/ engineless tractor #5  
hey really like the bk ground music & lab coats. old school is cool! why didn't it take off? too explosive? or against the petrochemical corp. way of life? music reminds me of old superman series....happy new year (not u exxon or bp)

/ engineless tractor #6  
This is going to be the future of vehicles. I am a big believer in the electric vehicles.
The following are a few facts from history ( I might have a few minor errors )
The electric car was about ( 1864 ? ) before the gasoline engine car.
There was a worlds fair in New Yorkish ?? and the people were brought the fair by an electric powered boat/ launch. This company became General Dymanics and they now build really neat electric subs.
GE built an electric Garden Tractor 30 years ago.
I have been collecting up parts to build and electric Lawn Tractor without deck. I am not inventing anything new, I just want to have one.
I watched TV and GE has electric charging stations about the size of a thin gasoline pump in Calif.

In the not to distant future there will be a poster asking about his electric tractor.

Exxon is now watching me. Joke Joke Joke

Craig Clayton

/ engineless tractor #7  
I guess if it anything like free energy the large corporations will soon put a stop to it. They wouldn't want farmers to stop buying their fuel.

There's no free energy in this deal! The fuel cell still uses fuel. It's much cleaner, and perhaps more efficient. However, you have to factor in the size, weight and cost of this propulsion system.

I have an idea that we would have seen and heard more from it if it could have been made light enough, small enough, powerful enough and cheap enough to be competitive. With that said, the fact that they had such a good prototype in those days is still impressive to me.

/ engineless tractor #8  
Fuel cells consume hydrogen to produce electricity and the by-product is water vapor. Sounds good until you realize what it takes to produce hydrogen (let alone store it). One method is to pass electricity through water and collect the gases which are hydrogen and oxygen.

The yield of hydrogen produced compared to the amount of power consumed isn't economically feasible, at least not yet.

Where does the energy come from to make the electricity to produce the hydrogen?

/ engineless tractor #9  
Nickel Iron batteries could be the thing to supply power, battery companies dropped them years back, why??? They last almost forever, change the electrolyte every few years and they will outlast you!
They are a fraction of the weight of lead acid, deliver a good power output consistent over the charge.
Downside, they are not made in the US anymore, and the only manufacturers appear to be in China now, although there is a US company marketing rebuilt batteries from old batteries.(Putting the "plates" into new cases)
As they last almost forever, there is no pollution problems, plus the plates are made up of iron and nickel not dangerous lead.
As for power, that AC tractor would have used series wound DC motors that produce extremely high torque. Series wound motors were used for years as traction motors on trams and trolley buses plus underground mining battery locos, still are actually.

So you could also provide your tractor with a set of solar cells on the canopy to charge the batteries continuously while out in the fields!!

/ engineless tractor #10  
Hydrogen could certainly be produced at wind farms during periods of low domestic use windmill electricity could be redirected to producing hydrogen at the wind farm. The hydrogen could power vehicles or be stored onsite and used to provide electricity during high demand, low wind periods. Solar and tidal generators could do the same. So could hydro electric dams. I certainly beleve hydrogen is the fuel of the future, once the oil kings no longer run the world. Hydrogen is the most abundant element on Earth.