Engine oil over filled

/ Engine oil over filled #1  

sailbad

Tractor
kubota L2850D
My Kubota L2850 is engine oil is above full mark 20 hours after oil change. Is it possible for transmission oil to get into engine oil?

/ Engine oil over filled #2  
How many hours on the engine? well maintained since new? or unknown? (new to you tractor) How much over "full"? Did you fill to spec (8.9 quarts/8.4 liter)? or overfill? how does your coolant look? low? Any blow-by when running? rough running/missing/hot? does oil smell like diesel? did old oil smell like diesel? what was the level like before the oil change? everything ok before the oil change? (this is new problem?) When you refilled, did you count the oil you put in the filter against the capacity? If everything was ok before, I'd say you simply overfilled based on how oil is packaged, if this is a new problem (or new to you tractor), areas to check would be coolant in the oil & head gasket leak, blow-by/worn rings, stuck injector, bad seal in injector pump, bad seal in hydraulic pump. If you didn't fill the new filter with clean oil, was the oil pump able to get a prime? (what's you oil pressure? Are the rockers hot/making noise?)

/ Engine oil over filled #3  
My guess is you overfilled it, or you didnt completely drain when you drained it, or your dipstick is pushed in too far, or you arent checking on level ground.
Look at simple things first

/ Engine oil over filled #4  
Did you let the engine warm up before draining oil?

/ Engine oil over filled #5  
In addition to watching the engine oil quantity keep an eye on the hydraulic fluid level. If it's going down while your engine oil is rising that answers your question. The hydraulic pump on many tractors drives off the crankshaft. If a seal goes bad they can start losing hydraulic oil into the crankcase.

/ Engine oil over filled #6  
I am not familiar with your model, is it one of those with two oil drain plugs? If so, did you open both plugs when draining?

Last edited:
   / Engine oil over filled #7  
I am not familiar with your model, is it one of those with two oil drain plugs? If so, did open both plugs when draining?
Good post.
My Kubota M-series tractors had an oil pan with a galley running lengthwise for the FWD driveshaft. If you didn’t drain both, it would leave some dirty oil in there. Never liked that design.

/ Engine oil over filled #8  
Same here two drain plug, one on each side ... but my question is was the oil level good after the oil change? did you run it for a bit and check it again ? was it ok every time you check it prior to the 20h mark then it was over filled ? also not sure if that your case but I always take the oil capacity with a grain of salt, yes I use it to make sure I purchase enough oil but that's it, if the manual say it need 4.4 liters I will put 4 liters then check on the dip stick, and add until I get to the proper level. Start the engine for 2 minutes or so and check again.