Engine drive shaft coupler to hydraulic pump failure. Need help!

/ Engine drive shaft coupler to hydraulic pump failure. Need help! #31  
I don't know if you can find a sprocket with a splined bore, but a chain coupler is an option too.

/ Engine drive shaft coupler to hydraulic pump failure. Need help! #32  
WOW a lot of suggestions. First I would not use heat on the coupler unless you want to replace the oil seal on the engine. The heat will kill it.

Have you tried some penetrating oil on this ? Most likely it is just rusted together. Spray on penetrating oil on this for several days i a row, several times a day. After each application of the penetrating oil, give the coupler a few good hits with a hammer. When you do that, you should put a much heaver hammer on the opposite side from where you are hitting with the hammer so as not to put undue stress on the engine shaft.

After a few days, put you puller on it and have ago at it.

Richard

/ Engine drive shaft coupler to hydraulic pump failure. Need help!
WOW a lot of suggestions. First I would not use heat on the coupler unless you want to replace the oil seal on the engine. The heat will kill it.

Have you tried some penetrating oil on this ? Most likely it is just rusted together. Spray on penetrating oil on this for several days i a row, several times a day. After each application of the penetrating oil, give the coupler a few good hits with a hammer. When you do that, you should put a much heaver hammer on the opposite side from where you are hitting with the hammer so as not to put undue stress on the engine shaft.

After a few days, put you puller on it and have ago at it.

Richard
I have been letting it soak with some penetrating oil for a few days while I’ve been contemplating which way to go about things. Thanks for the advice with the hammer, I have hit it a few times already and got a good amount of rusty dust to come out the end. Will definetly use a second hammer if hitting it any harder from here on out.

The past few days I’ve had to put my time into unrelated projects but about to hop back into the tractor disaster. So get this… last night just out of curiosity I started googling a couple new engine options. Looked up kohler because that’s what was originally in the machine. BAM! Google images… and would you look at that a female 13 spline 7/8” shaft. (Picture below) Started thinking how much it would suck if that stripped out and needed repair. Began to research repairs on the topic and find that kohler has instructions on how to switch out the failed/stripped spline adaptor. Not quite sure how this hadn’t come across my radar yet in all of the countless hours searching for couplers, adaptors, kohler, Eaton and everything related… the two pics of instructions below are just screen grabs but I’m sure the pdf can’t be hard to find. Long story short I am going to try and pop the stripped part out by welding on a nut and threading in a bottomed out bolt. I haven’t got the exact part number for replacement (because of lack of comparing exact specs at the moment) but saw others like it available on multiple sites including kohler’s site.

Attachments

• 02F35422-CE2B-4376-A40C-D7DFF54A1442.png
    02F35422-CE2B-4376-A40C-D7DFF54A1442.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 64
  • D612DB31-667F-4E79-8A97-F3860B9A5B10.png
    D612DB31-667F-4E79-8A97-F3860B9A5B10.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 71
  • 5E58EA62-FEC7-4CCF-A2AB-84B6AD4C2420.png
    5E58EA62-FEC7-4CCF-A2AB-84B6AD4C2420.png
    1 MB · Views: 62
   / Engine drive shaft coupler to hydraulic pump failure. Need help! #35  
The past few days I’ve had to put my time into unrelated projects but about to hop back into the tractor disaster. So get this… last night just out of curiosity I started googling a couple new engine options. Looked up kohler because that’s what was originally in the machine. BAM! Google images… and would you look at that a female 13 spline 7/8” shaft. (Picture below) Started thinking how much it would suck if that stripped out and needed repair. Began to research repairs on the topic and find that kohler has instructions on how to switch out the failed/stripped spline adaptor. Not quite sure how this hadn’t come across my radar yet in all of the countless hours searching for couplers, adaptors, kohler, Eaton and everything related… the two pics of instructions below are just screen grabs but I’m sure the pdf can’t be hard to find. Long story short I am going to try and pop the stripped part out by welding on a nut and threading in a bottomed out bolt. I haven’t got the exact part number for replacement (because of lack of comparing exact specs at the moment) but saw others like it available on multiple sites including kohler’s site.

That probably explains the adapter and long mounting sleeves/extension ....

Try search for: "kohler_replacing_splined_crankshafts.pdf"... OR "Kohler engines tt359a"

Last edited:
If removing the stripped coupler does work out and I’m able to get the new one in I will be ecstatic. Yes it does get me back into a not so ideal coupler situation, but atleast it’s repairable if it happens again. Some type of a love joy coupler would be better suited I’m sure, but the current setup lasted years (500 or so hours) with no attention paid toward it, no grease or lubrication, and requires no machine shop to make things work. I will add a grease fitting this time around and keep a better eye on it. My biggest problem with the love joy coupler was the outside diameter is too large thus would require modifications to the plate where the pump mounts to current home made spacer. I would need to enlarge the current diameter a half inch or so and would drop it off to a machine shop for something like that.

That probably explains the adapter and long mounting sleeves/extension ....

Try search for: kohler_replacing_splined_crankshafts.pdf

Thanks! And yes explains some of the mystery to why it was setup the way it is. Not ideal but not terrible either lol. I’m going to try to get the stripped part out before ordering just so I’m sure. I saw around $160-180 for the replacement so just want to make sure things come apart before ordering it.

Update: I got the splined/toothed adapter piece out. Waiting on replacement parts to get here. They are scheduled to be here Monday. It took two attempts of using the procedure from the kohler instructions as well as adding heat with a propane torch. Ended up pulling the engine to do this. Pump and engine are out of the machine now and can clean up the grime that has been caked on for years.

Attachments

• 7351D792-316C-4142-B54A-77E6ED655162.jpeg
    7351D792-316C-4142-B54A-77E6ED655162.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 61
  • 0E741B77-7FC6-4237-833A-59CFB4482DE3.jpeg
    0E741B77-7FC6-4237-833A-59CFB4482DE3.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 65
  • 91CE028D-4FC5-4E4A-97D1-00F95B3ADFED.jpeg
    91CE028D-4FC5-4E4A-97D1-00F95B3ADFED.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 62
   / Engine drive shaft coupler to hydraulic pump failure. Need help! #39  
If you still have everything apart, you might consider changing the shaft seal on the hydraulic pump as well. I plan on doing that this Spring on my tractor. I found a cross reference number
(John Deere p/n E65252). It looks like a relatively easy job.

If you still have everything apart, you might consider changing the shaft seal on the hydraulic pump as well. I plan on doing that this Spring on my tractor. I found a cross reference number
(John Deere p/n E65252). It looks like a relatively easy job.
Got it all back together now, seal looked pretty good when I had the pump up on the bench. Funny enough though when I put the pump back in it started to leak a little out the front seal. Fml….I even had brought the pump into NH hydraulics with me to switch out a few boss fittings and at that time there was no sign of leakage. Kicking myself for not resealing the whole pump while I had it out. The full seal kit was about $110 on the internet, in stock, 2 day shipping. I wish I had done it. Thanks for that part number, if it gets bad enough I may just try switching out the front seal.