Electrohydraulic options for DIY dump trailer

/ Electrohydraulic options for DIY dump trailer #1  

Dadnatron

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 5100e with FEL
I'm tossing around building a small utility dump trailer. This would be built on small running gear and be primarily used for hauling very light (overall) muck (straw with horse crap) from a barn to a compost heap. The size of the box would be about 5x8 and preferentially out of stainless. I can't imaging it carrying/dumping over 1000lbs rarely but more likely 200lbs daily.

I understand how the pump systems work etc. But I have no experience in sizing and choosing a brand. There are a lot to choose from.

Any recommendations on how/what to choose in this type of situation?

Pearls of wisdom should I go this route?

Any useful YouTube videos and/or websites you'd recommend?

/ Electrohydraulic options for DIY dump trailer #3  
Find an older salvaged lift gate, usually have the sump, tank pump and motor in one unit

/ Electrohydraulic options for DIY dump trailer #4  
I moved hundreds of loads of compost into my garden,, and every one of the loads were dumped with this attachment,,

aWl3oZK.jpg

k3HWkO6.jpg

oJraeHP.jpg

YyxorC5.jpg

PlMs16N.jpg

/ Electrohydraulic options for DIY dump trailer
Gotta say, that's pretty cool CAD. Won't work in my instance as I won't have it on a 3pth, but cool none-the-less. I need something self contained as I think it will be most often pulled with a UTV.

/ Electrohydraulic options for DIY dump trailer #6  
Build it with a sliding axle, unlock it when you back up it will slide forward and the load will dump itself. No muss, no fuss! Or for that matter build it so the axle is forward of the balance point, pull the latch and let it dump itself.

/ Electrohydraulic options for DIY dump trailer #7  
If you build a trailer with the axle in front of the balance point how safe is that being pulled by a utv? That would mean the hitch has up lift on it, right?

You could design it where the trailer is still tongue heavy but the bed is rear loaded heavy.

As to the electric over hyd they are rather simple would think you need to determine your cyl need, then the amount of fluid to fill it and some left over. They are self contained. I would use a single action cylinder unless the empty bed would be so light it does not want to come down.