Electrical Question

/ Electrical Question #1  

jk96

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L6060
I'm just about wrapped up with a remodel for Moms place. I need to get power to a range hood with blower. Right now I have the microwave on a dedicated 20 amp circuit and would like to add the blower to this circuit as well. Blower pulls 4 amps. The microwave is 1200 watts but no where can I find how many amps it pulls. The instructions do say it can be ran on a 15 or 20 amp circuit. Using a basic conversion table I'm showing 10 amps but is it that simple? Microwave is not an over the range microwave, just a standalone so no blower for the microwave. I guess if I start tripping the breaker I'll know my answer.

/ Electrical Question #2  
120volts x 10 amps = 1200 watts. 20 amps is PLENTY to run those 2 devices even a little headroom for a larger microwave in the future.

/ Electrical Question
Thanks guys. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't overlooking something.

/ Electrical Question #5  
120volts x 10 amps = 1200 watts. 20 amps is PLENTY to run those 2 devices even a little headroom for a larger microwave in the future.

Thanks, I've been doing it wrong. I always just remove the last two zero's for watts to figure out how many amps I'm using. I would have said 1,200 watts was 12 amps.

/ Electrical Question #6  
Thanks, I've been doing it wrong. I always just remove the last two zero's for watts to figure out how many amps I'm using. I would have said 1,200 watts was 12 amps.
I guess your method allowed for a little extra .

/ Electrical Question #7  
Just make sure that 20 amp circuit isn't running on 14 gauge wire and you will be fine.

/ Electrical Question #8  

I guess your method allowed for a little extra .

Which is good, since in most instances the Code requires you to size cable (and thus associated circuit breaker) to be at least 125% of the (continuous) current load. So 10 amps x 125% = 12.5 amps.

/ Electrical Question #9  
So glad I went to a Technical high school :|
Bookmark these links, they might come in helpful:

Watts/Volts/Amps/Ohms conversion calculator

Wire gauge calculator

Learn how to properly make basic electrical connections, like how to make a hook that is held by a screw and practice on a scrap piece of wire before attempting. Buy a decent mechanical wire stripper if you are not good with a knife. Google things like "making safe wire connections" and read everything until you completely understand it.
:reading: Electricity is only scary stuff to work with if you do not understand it.

/ Electrical Question
Just make sure that 20 amp circuit isn't running on 14 gauge wire and you will be fine.

House is all 12 gauge wire, even on the 15 amp circuits so I'm good there. Thanks.