Electric vehicles during a disaster

/ Electric vehicles during a disaster #61  
When you moving to Norway?

I post statistics about how EV’s can, and ARE, being used in cold countries that the Article Circle runs through, and your response is a personal non sequitur?

That’s ok, I guess when the facts don’t match a person’s notions, trying to make it personal about the messenger, or change the subject, rather than the brain trying to resolve contradictory information is a human tendency. I might be wrong, but I think that’s called cognitive dissonance.

As been stated before, when discussing political or controversial subjects that are allowed again here on TBN, it’s important to stick to facts and the topic, and not make it personal.

Last edited:
   / Electric vehicles during a disaster #62  
Your experience flies in the face of wind resistance. Common sense tells you that the wind resistance is much less at 65 than it is at 80 and wind resistance is the main contributor to poor fuel mileage. Your wallet, not mine. I prefer to get good fuel mileage rather than driving at warp factor one. Again, the minimum speed on any Interstate highway is 45 (if you bother to read the speed limit signs, don't matter what the top posted speed is, that is a Federal law.

65 works for me just fine. Never been in that big of a hurry anyway. I just leave in time to get to my destination on time.
My truck averages 22 mpg on the highway. Doesn't matter if I'm doing 65 or 80.

What kills me is the 5 miles of stop and go traffic once I get off the interstate.

/ Electric vehicles during a disaster #63  
Like I said, the scourge of commuters everywhere. ;)
I encounter a couple of those tater heads on the interstate on my commute to and from work. Average traffic speed is 80mph.

Then you encounter that one idiot in the hammer lane needing to remove their head from their rectum.

/ Electric vehicles during a disaster #64  
Wonder what happens to those lithium battery cars when they get submerged in flood water?
I too do not know. I did have an old farm truck parked in a bottom field that flooded. Motor locked up and it cost a bundle to get it repaired. I assume an EV under water would also be catastrophic.

/ Electric vehicles during a disaster #65  
I encounter a couple of those tater heads on the interstate on my commute to and from work. Average traffic speed is 80mph.

Then you encounter that one idiot in the hammer lane needing to remove their head from their rectum.
What will happen if all the trucks are mandated to drive 60 or 65 like is currently being considered? Not only tick off the truck drivers, but also the people doing 80 plus in cars!
My thoughts are, if the mandate speed control for trucks, the same should apply for cars and pickups!
David from jax

/ Electric vehicles during a disaster #66  
What will happen if all the trucks are mandated to drive 60 or 65 like is currently being considered? Not only tick off the truck drivers, but also the people doing 80 plus in cars!
My thoughts are, if the mandate speed control for trucks, the same should apply for cars and pickups!
David from jax
Haven't heard that. Michigan just raised truck speed from 60 to 65. Travelling to Wyoming on I80, further west truck and car sppeds limits are 70, then 75, and some 80. Ohio and some of PA is 70 for both. Jon

/ Electric vehicles during a disaster #67  
David from jax
I'm just reporting on average traffic speeds. Then encountering some idiot in the hammer lane doing 10 under the speed limit when they have 2 other lanes they can be an idiot in.

Truck speed limits were just raised to 70mph, smaller vehicles it's 75.

I

/ Electric vehicles during a disaster #68  
Your experience flies in the face of wind resistance. Common sense tells you that the wind resistance is much less at 65 than it is at 80 and wind resistance is the main contributor to poor fuel mileage. Your wallet, not mine. I prefer to get good fuel mileage rather than driving at warp factor one. Again, the minimum speed on any Interstate highway is 45 (if you bother to read the speed limit signs, don't matter what the top posted speed is, that is a Federal law.

65 works for me just fine. Never been in that big of a hurry anyway. I just leave in time to get to my destination on time.
It's easy enough to see the fuel savings due to lower MPH and/or wind direction if your vehicle shows the current MPG. It's quite a revelation.

/ Electric vehicles during a disaster #69  
Speed limits in Texas are as high as 85 in some places.

For any of you who drive slowly, please remain in your state and out of TX...or at least stay off the highway.

/ Electric vehicles during a disaster #70  
About once a month we find a Tesla sitting on the side of the road waiting on the tow truck because they over estimated the distance between charge stations. 110 degree weather can zap a battery.
For now I'll stick with our hybrids for running around and trucks for work and hauling. Not ready for pure EV.
Would love to get the new Ford Lightning if it could tow our trailer the 1,200 miles we run every two months.