Electric Steering Failure

/ Electric Steering Failure #1  

GTSRider

Gold Member
Tractor
Cub Cadet 3000
Ok...I don't have a XT2 Cub Cadet....but the Craftsman equal.
With 60 hrs. on the clock , the power steering went on an LSD trip , and went to full left lock while mowing.
Thankfully , tractor still on warranty, because repair will be around $1000.00 to replace with new electric steering components ...
but was wondering if MTD had any issues with the electric steering, or is mine just a fluke ?
Pete
Hudson Valley , NY

/ Electric Steering Failure #2  
If it like most electric steering, this is a known problem.

My Workshop Service Manual has a procedure on page 5-S20 that remedied the issue for me.

-jack up the front axle & support it in 2 places such that the front axle can't wobble up or down.
-turn the steering wheel left, then right, then stop at centre (straight ahead).
-find the service connector at the bottom right side of battery looking from front of tractor, at top of electronics module (a square connector with a loop back wire)
-turn ignition key on, do not start.
-unplug the service connector loopback.
-turn off the ignition key.
-re-connect the service connector loopback.
-lower front wheels to the ground, start engine and check for proper PS operation.

/ Electric Steering Failure
If it like most electric steering, this is a known problem.

My Workshop Service Manual has a procedure on page 5-S20 that remedied the issue for me.

-jack up the front axle & support it in 2 places such that the front axle can't wobble up or down.
-turn the steering wheel left, then right, then stop at centre (straight ahead).
-find the service connector at the bottom right side of battery looking from front of tractor, at top of electronics module (a square connector with a loop back wire)
-turn ignition key on, do not start.
-unplug the service connector loopback.
-turn off the ignition key.
-re-connect the service connector loopback.
-lower front wheels to the ground, start engine and check for proper PS operation.

Mike.... thanks for the quick response, the battery is under seat on this model, is this where you are referring to ?
How long does this fix hold....in other words, is this PS problem an on going problem with these models ?
If so, I hope MTD figures it out before warranty is out in May 2018..... odd they can't figure out electric power steering at this point.
Thanks again,
Pete

/ Electric Steering Failure #4  
No my battery is not under the seat so follow the wire from the steering unit.

On mine, it normally last until something knocks it out.

This problem has been around so long that it must take more to completely fix it than they think it is worth.

...update.... just got a call from Sears....both power steering parts are on back order...
this tells me it is a common problem as you said...earliest date is Sept 13, making it one month
of new 50 hr. tractor down....and no loaner from Sears.... should have bought the Cub Cadet equal,
the XT2.... local dealer gives free loaners, while yours is being fixed.
Sears gave me MTD phone number, but I doubt they will give me a loaner.

/ Electric Steering Failure #6  
That is the one problem I have always had with Sears repair. They never keep parts in stock and have to order them from the manufacture when needed.

That is the one problem I have always had with Sears repair. They never keep parts in stock and have to order them from the manufacture when needed.
...this will be my last Sears tractor buy...they just won't , or can not , stand behind the product they sold you....
what a shame....

/ Electric Steering Failure #8  
They will finally fix it, it just takes to much time.

They will finally fix it, it just takes to much time.

Yeah.... and in the meantime....the grass does not wait for Sears.... it keeps growing....
1 month in a wet summer = a lot of grass growth, in sunny open meadows, as I have...
but as a big Corp. , they just don't care.... again, what a shame...

/ Electric Steering Failure #10  
Yes, ever since fast Eddy took it over as a tax write off for his investment firm, he has slowly bled it dry.