Earthquake!

/ Earthquake! #1  

2LaneCruzer

Super Star Member
Tractor
John Deere LX172
Wow! We just had an earthquake here! 7:03 AM! We have had quite a few here in the last couple of years, and this one wasn't as intense as some, but it seemed as if it just ran on an on for maybe 30 seconds. Scary! Dishes wouldn't quit rattling. :eek:

/ Earthquake! #2  
We felt it up here in Kansas City at 7:15.
Not much just noticeable.

/ Earthquake!
I have a set of "Lucy and Charlie Brown" toy figurines that are designed to sit on the edge of a cabinet, table, shelf, etc. They sit on the edge of my lawyer's book case. I call them my earth quake detector...in a good shake, both will end up on the floor. This time it was only Lucy that ended up on the floor.

/ Earthquake! #4  
Mother earth alarm. :eek:

/ Earthquake! #5  
Oh Yes, I felt that too. USGS says it was near Pawnee, OK at around 0702 hrs. Sure got my attention.....first time that I noticed one. 5.6 magnitude.

/ Earthquake! #7  
7:03am 5.6 quake: The epicenter was about 150 west of me and was significant in 2 ways. First, 5.6 probably ties for the strongest quake we've had. Secondly, this thing lasted for about 60 full seconds.

The wife and I were discussing quake insurance on our new home construction just last week. Maybe we should have made that call already :)

/ Earthquake! #8  
Geologist claim one of the largest quakes ever was in New Madrid Oklahoma in 1811 so they are not unknown there. Many claim the current ones are from fracking but they could just as well be the prelude to another big one in the area. A pretty good write up about the New Madrid fault line is here The Great Midwest Earthquake of 1811
| Page 2 |
Science | Smithsonian

/ Earthquake! #9  
We felt it down here in DFW

/ Earthquake! #10  
My bet is they have a flow back well too close to a fault line. Closing the flow back station and capping it should take care of it. We were getting quakes on a pretty regular bases due to that issue. Once they shut down the flow back wells in that area, things settled down.