Earthquake!

/ Earthquake! #1  

2LaneCruzer

Super Star Member
Tractor
John Deere LX172
Whoo Hoo Hoo! I think we just had a couple earth quakes...5:24 and 5:29...rattled the house!

/ Earthquake! #2  
Oh wow, no kidding. I'm turning on the news to see what I can learn. Those aren't fun if you have experienced on or more before.

/ Earthquake! #3  
   / Earthquake! #4  
If they are drilling for gas, get used to it!

/ Earthquake!
If they are drilling for gas, get used to it!

The biggest deposit of gas that I know of, comes from the gastrointestinal tract of my two grandsons, who happen to be in our care for the next 3 days.

/ Earthquake! #7  
My wife was running on the treadmill at that time but she's a pretty small gal. :D

/ Earthquake!
My wife was running on the treadmill at that time but she's a pretty small gal. :D

If this all relates back to her as the cause, I suggest you tread lightly with her from now on...Carrie will look like a piker compared to her! :) We had a couple more quakes this morning at 5:07 am and 5:14 am. Woke us up. It's a strange feeling; there is a sound associated with the quake, but it comes and goes so fast it's hard to tell the source of the sound...whether is comes with the quake, or whether it originates within the house itself.

/ Earthquake! #9  
You really haven't lived till you experience a quake above 7.5. I was in LA Basin area when the big one hit(1990?)collapsed all the overhead freeways. It was pretty shaky. We had several aftershocks to that one that were 5.0 or better. This went on for weeks. I was also in Peru (August15, 2007) when one hit there that was 7.9 IIRC but was upgraded above that due to the length of almost 3 minutes duration. Our jobsite was only about 35 miles from the epicenter which was in the Pacific ocean. It damaged building in Lima 100 km away and almost destroyed all the towns south for over 100 km. Most of the buildings were just cinder block construction without reinforcement Most quakes last less than 1 minute although they may seem like several minutes duration.

Last edited:
   / Earthquake!
You really haven't lived till you experience a quake above 7.5. I was in LA Basin area when the big one hit(1990?)collapsed all the overhead freeways. It was pretty shaky. We had several aftershocks to that one that were 5.0 or better. This went on for weeks. I was also in Peru (August15, 2007) when one hit there that was 7.9 IIRC but was upgraded above that due to the length of almost 3 minutes duration. Our jobsite was only about 35 miles from the epicenter which was in the Pacific ocean. It damaged building in Lima 100 km away and almost destroyed all the towns south for over 100 km. Most of the buildings were just cinder block construction without reinforcement Most quakes last less than 1 minute although they may seem like several minutes duration.

It's a bit of a novelty here; I recall a small one back in the late 50's, and things have been pretty calm here except for the few we've had the last 2 or 3 years. I have no desire to experience anything like what you describe; although I recall reading that there was a monster quake in Missouri back in the 1800's, so it's like they used to say on the Mickey Mouse Club, "It's anything can happen day".