Dutch doors for our barn

/ Dutch doors for our barn #1  

forgeblast

Elite Member
Tractor
John Deer 318
This year I had to replace my barn doors. They were rotten from years of snow and ice sitting at the bottom of the door. The doors were also heavy! They were rough cut(rc) hemlock and then on the back of the door セ plywood.
shed013.jpg

My plan was to make Dutch doors. Not because we have horses but because the barn is small and when I am ripping lumber with the table saw I need to have the doors open. If I keep the bottom in place then I have a stand to help hold up any lumber I am cutting.

The doors are 2x6 and they are each 40鋳 tall by 37鋳 wide. After I made the frame out of 2x6痴 I added two diagonal pieces to each door and with the scrap pieces nail a piece where every hinge would possibly go. After this was done rc hemlock was put on top and then I hung the doors. I used timberlock screws for attaching the hinges to the barn.
Once I made sure they swung open and were able to close I added the battens and trim. I wanted to 塗ide the hinge as much as possible as just a preventative to anyone trying to break in.
My daughter and I stained them to match the barn.
shed014.jpg

range004.jpg

I know it looks like there is a gap there on the left but its just that the door is not pulled tightly shut from the back.