Ducks?

/ Ducks? #1  

paulsharvey

Elite Member
Tractor
Kioti CK2610 HST
So, kids are wanting to get some ducks, wife said she would prefer to hatch them. Any recommendations on bred for a relatively low maintenance duck, with good laying, and at least decent meat production, without being a absolute feed hog? We have had chickens consistently for 15 years, had turkeys, and we did have ducks about 10 years ago, a white bred, with a 'Don king' hair do.

My experience with ducks is the combine the negatives of pigs, with the negatives of chickens...

My ideal would be have them in a coop, like chickens, with possibly a small (15x15) run. The existing coop is dirt floored, approx 6 ft x 12 ft x 6 ft tall. I also have a 6x12x7 ft tall concrete floored coop, that I plan on putting a fresh dozen chickens in.

/ Ducks? #2  
So, kids are wanting to get some ducks, wife said she would prefer to hatch them. Any recommendations on bred for a relatively low maintenance duck, with good laying, and at least decent meat production, without being a absolute feed hog? We have had chickens consistently for 15 years, had turkeys, and we did have ducks about 10 years ago, a white bred, with a 'Don king' hair do.

My experience with ducks is the combine the negatives of pigs, with the negatives of chickens...

My ideal would be have them in a coop, like chickens, with possibly a small (15x15) run. The existing coop is dirt floored, approx 6 ft x 12 ft x 6 ft tall. I also have a 6x12x7 ft tall concrete floored coop, that I plan on putting a fresh dozen chickens in.
They will want water to swim in, not just to drink.

/ Ducks? #3  
Ducks of all flavors make a mess with their water and food. They like to bathe and sling water everywhere and then root for bugs/worms. Now mine are free ranging with a 12 acre pond and don't make much of a mess unless they get into the garden or compost pile. I'm partial to Muscovy ducks but we have all kinds including some wild ones that just hang out with the gang for month to years.
Muscovies are funny birds that keep me amused and excellent flyers as well a really good layers. The large framed drakes will feed you well if you are so inclined, their body is about the size of most domestic geese. Females are a lot smaller and will beg for food all day.

/ Ducks?
The last time we had ducks; it ended up looking like a hog waller,

/ Ducks? #5  
They needed a bigger pond!:ROFLMAO:

I've seen kiddie wading pools used in small spaces, but they need cleaning often.

All the best, Peter

/ Ducks? #6  
Long ago my FIL bought us two pair of white ducks. They were put out on my lake - 10 acre. They were nice to watch. They wintered well in a "duck house".

Come spring they took up a very nasty habit. They would attack and knock down the mud nests of the cliff swallows. This dropped the nest and babies into the lake. They would then catch and eat the baby swallows.

I watched this one day. The next day they were coyote food.

Told my FIL - they flew off with a flock of wild ducks.

End of story.

/ Ducks? #7  
Put them in a dirt floor enclosure, yup..... They will do duck things and unless there is a lot of space it will get rooted. Right now I have a few that have discovered my giant compost pile. I have to pile it back up every few days, easy enough but it is 20 by 10 and 6 high. Good thing it is all tractor accessible.

Last edited:
   / Ducks? #8  
I've had ducks for a while. Ain't no way I'd raise them permanently in a small enclosure. They are so messy. If I start little ones, I fence off an area by the pond and down into the water for them. I tried using a kiddie pool a few times before I got smart enough to just use the pond. I would have to change that water twice a day, and boy did it ever stink. No way!

Try to talk them into turkeys. These are where it's at. So much personality. Royal palms are about double the size of a standard chicken.

1708091670179.png

/ Ducks? #10  
I get about six to eight different types of water fowl on my lake throughout the year. No need for anything tame. The lake is ten acres, 80 feet deep and just 100 feet from my front porch.
IMG_0186.jpeg