Dual element filtration. How much dust gets past? Yup…

/ Dual element filtration. How much dust gets past? Yup… #1  

Hersheyfarm

Veteran Member
So my thread on kubota filter design didnt go over too good. But, doing deep dive in filtration led to some articles, how often to clean. Too much cleaning vs letting filter clog some so the filter minder shows restriction(dirt buildup adds to filtration). I have 3 kubotas minus the hay equipment. I’ve had 2 other kubotas, m59 and m62, also had many other pieces equipment in the past 30 years, case/Deere backhoes. Plus current tractor massey 4345. All my machines have/had cabs except the m59/62. You’re more likely to work in dustier conditions with a cab. Like my svl75. Skid steers live in the worst, dustiest environment. I’ve graveled a few slabs for my builders and it can be awful in the summer. Just working around the farm in dry dirt is bad. The mini excavator is not in as much dust because it doesn't stir up as much with tracks and you’re not traveling as much. But, i always blow out my outer elements about 10ish hours. Today i took the filters out to look into housing and was surprised to see a very small amount of dust. Just pulling the inner filter out and looking in there its like very clean, especially compared to the rest of the housing, but shining an led in there and rubbing your finger in there its kinda like that table in the corner that you never dust. Not damaging dust but still there. The one thing i did is take a cloth with windex on it and wipe the sealing surface of housing and filter seals, so when you put them in you can feel the tackiness of rubber on plastic. So, what’s your filter maintenance like? My u48-5 has 68hr and svl75 has 179hr. Still new by most standards. My massey that I’ve owned since 2002 has about 1600. Not checked it but it gets a little less attention until hay starts. I guess it’s absolutely impossible, and not realistic to think air filtration is zero dust intrusion. Its not feasible to filter to hepa standards(.03 micron), but I may back off filter maintenance a little per some articles I read.
A4EA5A4C-6F14-4167-8CE2-31E8AA4827CC.jpeg

Last edited:
   / Dual element filtration. How much dust gets past? Yup… #2  
It is not correct or complete, but, I have always viewed the inner filter as more of a fail safe than additional filter.

I don't blow mine out as much as you do, but try to get to them every month or so, if I were to poke a hole or split a seam, the inner could save a fortune.

Best,

ed

/ Dual element filtration. How much dust gets past? Yup… #3  
Wonder how many folks check the dust unloader valve if your equipment has one?

/ Dual element filtration. How much dust gets past? Yup… #4  
I always check the intake tract for any dust when cleaning the primary and secondary filters which I do often and I coat the intake tract with a rag with grease on it to capture any dirt, just in case. Have filter minders on both the tractors and my pickup truck but they never get loaded enough to register.

/ Dual element filtration. How much dust gets past? Yup…
It is not correct or complete, but, I have always viewed the inner filter as more of a fail safe than additional filter.

I don't blow mine out as much as you do, but try to get to them every month or so, if I were to poke a hole or split a seam, the inner could save a fortune.

Best,

ed
Uno, on the u48 the inner filter is just a thin metal screen. I had never pulled it and was shocked. Most inners are a thick fabric. This thing is a joke. Look at it, it doesnt seem like any kind of life saver.
A5143E04-B491-470D-8224-E08AB892F770.jpeg

/ Dual element filtration. How much dust gets past? Yup…
I always check the intake tract for any dust when cleaning the primary and secondary filters which I do often and I coat the intake tract with a rag with grease on it to capture any dirt, just in case. Have filter minders on both the tractors and my pickup truck but they never get loaded enough to register.
The only time i have ever had a filter minder show any kind of resistance on a diesel was on a ford 6.7 where i was following a rig in the worst rain I’ve eve been in and sucked a little mist.

/ Dual element filtration. How much dust gets past? Yup… #8  
Uno, on the u48 the inner filter is just a thin metal screen. I had never pulled it and was shocked. Most inners are a thick fabric. This thing is a joke. Look at it, it doesnt seem like any kind of life saver.
View attachment 783962
Both my M9's have full inners with filter media.

/ Dual element filtration. How much dust gets past? Yup… #9  
I dont…is that the little rubber flapper?
It is. It is at the bottom of the filter housing. Once mine was cracked and that allowed the dust to bypass the pre-cleaner.

/ Dual element filtration. How much dust gets past? Yup… #10  
Most people seem to think that they are doing their engines a favor by keeping the filter clean. A service manager once told me that the dirtier the filter the cleaner the air going into the engine. It makes sense when you think about it. So why would you give your engine the dirtiest air possible by cleaning the filter?