Dream Realized

/ Dream Realized #31  
Rich, I know I sound like the inventor of HST (wish I was!) or like I own stock or something, but that's why I keep harping on HST's. I think that most folks who don't like HST's don't give them a fair shake. I used to be a "gearhead" (my term for myself, not for others who like only gear transmissions), but not any more. I wouldn't have anything but HST in a piece of equipment now. But you knew that.

It would be interesting to see you try an HST again and find out what you think. Of course, HST or not, there's no braking on the front wheels unless it's in 4wd.

Mark

/ Dream Realized #32  
Ouch! So were you riding this tractor? Were you hurt at all? That experience of yours provides ample evidence that we should always use 4wd when operating on slopes, doesn't it?

Mark

/ Dream Realized #33  
No, that was not me driving it. I don't want to reveal who it was since he doesn't even know its been to this forum.
As far as HST goes, its been around awhile, Bobcats use a really noisey version of it. It just took Kubota to make one that would convince people of its ability. Past HST's were very noisey and had a relatively poor efficiency factor, pedal force got increasingly heavier as the wheel forces increased. I have yet to drive a hydrostatic transmission that approaches the quality of the Kubotas. Kubotas hydro servo can't be beat. You will see more industrial applications I'm sure. Its easy to learn, safer for the inexperienced, and nothing matches it for speed loader work. GST is nice, but to me it was like a semi-automatic clutch. I have no problems with GST, its very nice, even standard shuttle shift is great, but when I know something else is available like HST, for me its a no question situation. HST is the future. Rat...

/ Dream Realized #34  
Rat - I agree with you completely on every point except one: You said it's safer for the inexperienced, which it definitely is, but I also think it's safer for anybody, no matter no mater how much experience you've got. There's a dozen reasons why, most of which I've mentioned over and over again.

Mark

/ Dream Realized #35  
I mite just give him a call and see what he says,it can't hurt.
RICH

/ Dream Realized #36  
The braking is not all that much improved in 4WD IF the back tires stay on the ground. Guess that is a big IF and with a load in the bucket, I am sure he was going bucket first, the rear wheels were barely touching the ground, and away went the roller coaster. Glad no one was hurt! /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ Dream Realized #37  
Wen, he panicked the second the tractor started to skid. He exited the right side just quick enough for the fender to hit him on the side. As he lay on the ground he watched as the tractor went head over heels and then rolled twice, slid down hit a digger pine and eventually came to rest against another tree. Took two tow trucks about 5 hrs to get it back up. Every now and then I walk down there and still find some pieces of the tractor. The motor was still running while laying almost on its side. He called and told me about it. He said, "the tractors gone, its gone, over the hill, motors still running, I jumped off, and its gone." Of course my first reaction was not to ask him if he was OK, but to get that motor turned off. Rat...

/ Dream Realized #38  
Mark, I know when I get HST I'll feel a whole lot better about backing down to my pond with the mower to cut the perimeter grass. Even now, with my right foot heavy on the brakes, shifter in forward, 1st gear and clutch in, slowly easing it down backwards, I worry that the brake tie bar will pop loose or break and I will have only right or left brakes which will no doubt put me in the pond sideways. Can you tell me if your HST has a point at which it can no longer "hold the load" and will start slipping? Rat...

/ Dream Realized #39  
I think I will print that picture out and put it in my pick up and look at everytime before I unload the tractor to do some work. Kind of soboring. glen.

/ Dream Realized #40  
Rat - The HST's always slip a little, which translates to three different (on the L-series) "top speeds" on a hill, depending on which range it's in. If you were on a 20 degree slope in high range, with your foot off the HST pedal, the tractor would roll downhill at a slow walking speed. In low range, it would creep downhill very very slowly.

You would most likely end up pressing on the reverse pedal just slightly when backing down the hill because it would be too slow to just let it creep. If you need to keep the tractor from moving at all, you can either use the brake or slightly depress the HST lever in the opposite direction.

I know what you mean about worrying when going downhill with a standard transmission or GST. I had many nerve-wracking decents with my GST's and older tractors. Not with the HST, though. The control is incredibly better. Plus, you've got redundant braking systems, which always makes me feel better.

Mark