DR Power Stump Grinders

/ DR Power Stump Grinders
I pulled the trigger on the DR Power 16.5 Pro Model. I was all set to purchase the middle model but my motto "buy once cry once" kept going though my head as I was clicking through the screens. The larger unit seems to be 13 horsepower (420cc Briggs) and the middle about 10 horsepower (300cc Briggs). It also comes with electric start and a tow bar. I guess when I'm 70 and grinding stumps I'll be thanking my 43 year old self for getting the Tow Bar and electric start, and hopefully the extra 120cc will get me through stumps faster. I'll be sure to post pictures and my findings here in this thread once I use it some.

/ DR Power Stump Grinders #12  
43? Who's 'old', your sentry? (canine) :laughing: I'm 2 years and 2 months away from 70, and only a year-in with the DR, but I'd bet you don't wear yours out by that age. :)

Guys, keep these in mind when stumping, esp with 'walk-behinds', and don't over-think 'em:

- If you don't tire easily, have someone rake chips out of the way as you go so you can see where to move to.
- If you're my age or DO tire easily, you may appreciate a 'rake break' every 15-20 min to clear those chips. ;)
- Don't skimp on digging around each stump before you start, and keep soil separate from chips for less mess and 'cleaner' back-fill.
- Use a 'beater' chain (near its last re-sharpen) to cut the stump fairly close to the ground.
- An extra 4" height on a 24" stump means more work/time and a LOT more chips.
- If you don't have wet pond weeds to add to chips for composting, just add hi-N lawn ferts, topsoil, and water to get it to 'cook' faster.

(.. you knew all that. :) t o g)

As promised here are some pics and thoughts...I received the DR Stump grinder today. Got it inside and put oil and gas in it and took it to a stump to test it out. I am pleased with it. It is not near as good as the rental I used but that thing is a 15 thousand dollar stump grinder. And it actually grinded the stump just the same but just didn't get there and move around on self propelled tracks. I am learning how to operate it and the first stump took about 30 minutes according to my hour meter. If you have any questions, hit me up.

I am glad I have it.

For some reason uploaded files are always upside down or whatever....when you click on them the will be correct.

2018-02-20 11.29.28.jpg2018-02-20 11.50.20.jpg2018-02-20 11.50.14.jpg2018-02-20 17.21.31.jpg2018-02-20 17.00.08.jpg

/ DR Power Stump Grinders #14  
As promised here are some pics and thoughts...I received the DR Stump grinder today. Got it inside and put oil and gas in it and took it to a stump to test it out. I am pleased with it. It is not near as good as the rental I used but that thing is a 15 thousand dollar stump grinder. And it actually grinded the stump just the same but just didn't get there and move around on self propelled tracks. I am learning how to operate it and the first stump took about 30 minutes according to my hour meter. If you have any questions, hit me up.

I am glad I have it.

For some reason uploaded files are always upside down or whatever....when you click on them the will be correct.

View attachment 540891View attachment 540893View attachment 540894View attachment 540896View attachment 540897

Hey, can I borrow that? I ain't that far away up here in Missouri. :laughing:

I just wanted to get in the "first" borrow. I am sure you will hear more from friends and family.

/ DR Power Stump Grinders #15  
LOL.!!! "1st" borrow.. Lol..
That's kinda like "trying" to borrow a log splitter..

What's the rules on that....borrowing log splitter and stump grinders etc.? I have been cursed with being a little protective of stuff and that is all good until someone wants to borrow something that can break.

/ DR Power Stump Grinders #17  
What's the rules on that....borrowing log splitter and stump grinders etc.? I have been cursed with being a little protective of stuff and that is all good until someone wants to borrow something that can break.

I would think those type of "borrow" requests should be treated about like a request to "borrow" your wife.

/ DR Power Stump Grinders #18  
I'm the "go to guy" when it comes to borrowing tools.. WELL, I should say, "use to be" the go to guy..
I simple say, "Sorry but I don't loan tools anymore".. " but I can offer you a beer"..Lol
THAT usually takes the sting outta the NO & we sit around swapping stories about people breaking YOUR equipment & returning it broken..

I was surfing Amazon the other day & ran across some "stickers".. they were about borrowing tool.. funny as heck..

/ DR Power Stump Grinders #19  
I'm the "go to guy" when it comes to borrowing tools.. WELL, I should say, "use to be" the go to guy..
I simple say, "Sorry but I don't loan tools anymore".. " but I can offer you a beer"..Lol
THAT usually takes the sting outta the NO & we sit around swapping stories about people breaking YOUR equipment & returning it broken..

I was surfing Amazon the other day & ran across some "stickers".. they were about borrowing tool.. funny as heck..

A buddy who lives 10 minutes away, wanted to borrow a tool for a job that would take only 5 minutes to accomplish. I handed it to him and said "see you in about 15 minutes". It turns out he was planning to return it in a week or so, until I reminded him of the fact that he stopped working to borrow it and he should be willing to stop working to return it.

He never asked to borrow anything again.

/ DR Power Stump Grinders #20  
THATS usually how it goes.. sad but true..
WE COULD start a new thread about "borrowing tools"..
It would have a post count as hi as the "harbor freight" one.. Lol

Congrats on the new grinder Old Red.. sorry for hi-jacking the thread..