'Do you want to leave page' after posting - 'Yes' causes double post

/ 'Do you want to leave page' after posting - 'Yes' causes double post #11  
Moss,

25 years in IT, that is certainly something to "crow" about. ;)

/ 'Do you want to leave page' after posting - 'Yes' causes double post
a double post into Friendly Politics where the dup can't be deleted.
Why can't it be deleted?

Is there an "Edit Post" icon at the bottom of the posts, like all the other Forums? If there is it can be deleted.
Save your innocence, preserve your optimism for the world, steer far away from 'Friendly' Politics.

There be dragons there.

8923915_f520.jpg

/ 'Do you want to leave page' after posting - 'Yes' causes double post #13  
Why can't it be deleted?

Is there an "Edit Post" icon at the bottom of the posts, like all the other Forums? If there is it can be deleted.

You can edit within a time limit (24 hours?) after posting , but you cannot delete a post.

Save your innocence, preserve your optimism for the world, steer far away from 'Friendly' Politics.

There be dragons there.

I hypothesize that the motive for not allowing deletion of posts was to encourage members to "think through" what they are posting in (Un)Friendly Politics before actually posting. If so, it didn't work.:)

Steve

Last edited:
   / 'Do you want to leave page' after posting - 'Yes' causes double post #14  
SMSTONYPOINT,
Actually I have deleted two entire posts, just decided to do more research before responding. The option said edit or delete. They were gone, entirely! Never had desire to visit the political forum, there is enough inadvertent exposure in general forums as you recall from the tariff and tractors entry, before it was mercifully dispatched elsewhere.

/ 'Do you want to leave page' after posting - 'Yes' causes double post #15  
You can edit within a time limit (24 hours?) after posting , but you cannot delete a post.

--------------------

Steve

I also have deleted several posts. Back when duplicate posts where happening, I always deleted the second one by clicking "Edit Post" and "Delete", select "Delete Message" and at the bottom right, click "Delete Post".

I just checked, this is what it looks like:

delete post.PNG

/ 'Do you want to leave page' after posting - 'Yes' causes double post #16  
SMSTONYPOINT,
Actually I have deleted two entire posts, just decided to do more research before responding. The option said edit or delete. They were gone, entirely! Never had desire to visit the political forum, there is enough inadvertent exposure in general forums as you recall from the tariff and tractors entry, before it was mercifully dispatched elsewhere.

I also have deleted several posts. Back when duplicate posts where happening, I always deleted the second one by clicking "Edit Post" and "Delete", select "Delete Message" and at the bottom right, click "Delete Post".

I just checked, this is what it looks like:

View attachment 544050

I was referring to posts in the (Un)Friendly Politics forum.

Here's what I see when I select "Edit" of a post that I made today in that forum.

Screenshot 2018-03-14 at 9.34.00 PM.png

Steve

/ 'Do you want to leave page' after posting - 'Yes' causes double post #17  
Thanks.

I used to have to know this stuff when I did tech support. Looong ago, pre-Windows, pre WWW. When it was a wilderness out there. Not much 'common body of knowledge'.

Now I just ask.

Again, thanks!

That reminds me of a time when a colleague of mine and I had to make a call to tech support for a vendor of ours that was supplying a product that was supposed to watch ALL internet traffic coming in and reject anything malicious. It was called something like Content Inspector, but we called it Content Rejector because it pretty much blocked everything after being in use for more than a few hours. So we start poking around the thing and gaining knowledge of how it worked. We had some questions and called their support. We asked the questions and the "kid" on the other end supplied an ambiguous answer. We couldn't figure out where he got that info. He said something about "That's what I got when I Googled XXXX."

WE WERE SHOCKED that we were paying for tech support on the product and they used that stupid newfangled Google to try and resolve our issue instead of having technical manuals of their own product..... fast forward and pretty much everything you wanted to know about anything is now on Google. It's good in some senses, as you can find answers on your own. On the other hand, its sad that many companies no longer have competent tech support, and are extremely quick to ditch technical support for legacy products.

/ 'Do you want to leave page' after posting - 'Yes' causes double post
Moss, that msg of mine that you quoted above was pared down from a longwinded rant about uphill in the snow both directions etc etc. :)

Just now I went looking for an example of tech support in the DOS -2 through 5 era. Didn't find anything notable. But searching on edlin then PC Mag's TED (TinyEditor), I hit the following 404 (page not found) masterpiece: '404' declared in a huge number of languages! I thought you might be amused by this.
Page not found – ibiblio

Sample of 404 page statements - excluding a great many in non-English languages:

1337/h4x0r j00 f001, 7|-|47 p4g3 d0|\|'7 eXi57! y0u sux0rz.
Afrikaans Die webblad is nie beskikbaar nie.
American South Ah cain't find th' page yer lookin' fer.
Amiga User Software Failure. Guru Meditation #22000000.48454C50
Australian Strewth mate yer bloody page has shot through
Blond like omg! ur file has not been found, go paint ur nails and try back later, lol^^
Brazil (S縊 Paulo slang) A mano, a p疊ina que c t ca軋no rod? meu!
Brazilian (ga?ho) slang Mas b疉 tch? tu t mais perdido que cusco ca?o de caminh縊 de mudan軋! A p疊na n縊 t aqui.
Brazilian Portuguese slang Cad a pç–Šina que tava aqui? O gato comeu.
Brazilian Portuguese A p疊ina que voc procura n縊 existe.
BSD user The server is running Linux. What do you expect?
C return ENOENT;
Emo I don't know what you're looking for but it's no use. Might as well kill yourself.
English (Bristolian Accent) I casn't find what thee bist lookin' fer, me babber.
English (East African- Kikuyu) Da paej yu ah lookin fo eiz not avaerabouh.
English (Lancastrian dialect) Weers yon page geet to? T'int 'ere!
English (Yorkshire dialect) Sithi, it's noreer, issit? Hawaiʻian (attempted) Hoʻokahua āʻole ke apuapu.
Hawaiʻian (Creole) Da page no stay!
Hawaiʻian (pidgin) ʻe bu, da bugga he no stae.
Latin (Pig) Ethay agepay ouyay areyay ookinglay orfay annotcay ebay oundfay.
Linux User That's fixed in subversion
LOLcat U cant haz page, is 404. Srsly. KTHXBAI!
Mac User This wouldn't have happened if you were using a Mac. [I used to hear a lot of that. From the same idiots that wouldn't give us a budget to buy macs.]
Pittsburghese This page needs fixed n'at... it's all caddywhompus! Yinz needs look somewheres else.
Quechua Mana Caipipi Ni Imata Taripunichu. [LANGUAGE OF THE ANDEAN INDIGENOUS. This list is realllly inclusive!]
Rot 13 Reebe 404 cntr abg sbhaq.
UNIX(V6)
Webmaster (local dialect) The problem is your fault.
Wookie GRRRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH GRAAAAAAAAAA, HRAGGGGGGGGG!!!
(C3PO) Let the Wookie have his files!
Zombie Arrgrg 404 BrAiNs aAAArrggh No ggrrgrh page brAiNz heRe BrAAAAIIINNSSSS!
Zulu Slang Lento oyi funayo ayikho lana.

:laughing:

Come to think of it, I have one in the same vein on a personal web page that you encounter if you try to go up one level from the page I intend you to see:

"You have reached the end of the Internet. Go Back! Go Back!"

/ 'Do you want to leave page' after posting - 'Yes' causes double post #19  
THAT MADE ME LAUGH HARD!!!! :D:laughing:

/ 'Do you want to leave page' after posting - 'Yes' causes double post #20  
'Do you want to leave page' after posting:

'Yes' causes double post. The first <enter> posted it, but the draft is still on your screen so you can't see it.

I've experienced this twice in 24 hours. First time I hit yes and put a double post into Friendly Politics where the dup can't be deleted.

Just now I didn't hit either yes or no, rather, I opened another tab and found my new post was at the top of Today's Posts. While the draft and the choices remained on the initial screen.

Site problem?
Ive read the entire thread and some went over my head or seems to go counter to my experience.

I see what you describe occasionally and think its a site problem.

When it happens I stay on page and copy the entire reply.

Then cancel post or refresh search and go back to the thread.

Like as not your post is there. -- If not youve got the copy to post.​

You can "delete" a post in friendly politics by editing the unwanted content to any 5 character alternate message.