Dealer Do you want dealers on the board?

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Do you want dealers on the board? #1  

kayssupply

Platinum Member
Tractor
Iseki TA 207
I have been made aware of the fact that the monitor of this board. NOT Rodger or Muhammed. Has been telling dealers not to solicate business on this board. I am very small and don't normally do this,BUT the ones that do are offering things people are looking for. If the dealers weren't here you newbies would not be able to offer much to each other. The dealers are taking time to respond to messages and share a wealth of information. If they can sell a few things , good for them. If I didn't have the other dealers for support it would be very hard for me to do what I enjoy.I hope you all respond to this thread and tell the " Big Brother" to stay out.
This is a form of censorship. He is deciding what you can or can not see.

/ Do you want dealers on the board? #2  
I am new to this site. So I dont know much about what is going on. But if the dealers are not actuly trying to sell items or advertising. I dont see any problem.
It would be nice to have a fourm added that would be for Wanted to buy. Or or even a for sale fourm. The administration could even have a small fee for the For sale board.
Just my $.02 TOOLS

/ Do you want dealers on the board? #3  
TOOLS from what I have seen the dealers haven't been soliciting. What has happened in the past is someone will post a message saying something like "I need a widget for my Yanmar YMXXXX" and a dealer would reply "Hey I have those in stock, shoot me an e-mail". I have been told that we should PM the person or e-mail them but not even post that we can support them. I can understand not being able to start a thread just to market an item because there are advertisers that pay to advertise, but its kind of a trade off if you think about it. People come to this particular forum looking for answers. Who is giving 90% of the advice and answers. Reed, Len, Buck, Ernie, Hoye, anybody else. They give advice and guidance and in return they may make a sale or two. These people make the Yanmar forum a success. Just like the core group that makes the Deere, NH, and Kubota forums work.

/ Do you want dealers on the board? #4  
YES, I want the dealers to keep posting here just as they have been. They provide a valuable service and they should not be censored.
Cameron

/ Do you want dealers on the board? #5  
Having been a member of both of the old boards...remember them? And now with this one, I have found that a lot of the responses given if not all, by the so called "dealers" have been Knowledgable, with added infomation when needed. Their responses have always seemed to be geared to help and not ( push a sale ).
I am always left with the idea that the customer will patronize the dealer that is friendly and helpfull.
I cancel open accounts with dealers that don't give proper service, pricing, or have an attitude problem. There's always someone else to fill the need.
As long as no price is mentioned, just the response of " I can probably help you" or " Yes we have / can get that for you", then you've met the needs of the person asking! No different than the other boards I'm a member of. Lloyd

/ Do you want dealers on the board? #6  
I say let them stay. The dealers who participate on this forum give the rest of us valuable information and support. If they sell a tractor or parts, them so be it. My vote is to let them stay. In my opinion, we get as much or more than they get from us. Again, my vote would be to let them stay!!!!!

William

/ Do you want dealers on the board? #7  
As one of the biggest advocates of comin here from the old Yahoo site, and havin a good memory of how things were there, I have a thought or two on the subject.
I don't want to see things go back to the Yahoo mode where somebody would post askin a question, and 3 dealers would hop up posting that they had such item and email or call for more information. It got tired real quick.
I also have absolutely no objection to any dealer answwering a question, if he can, or providing information.
If you look at the top of the page, there is a solicitation for dealers to click. I took the trouble to click it, and learned Muhammad is offering a dealer directory advertising package to dealers. Since he has spent a dollar or even two developing this site, I sorta think he's entitled to a little return on his investment via the dealer directory.
He didn't ask us for a dollar when we migrated here from Yahoo, and did his best to make us welcome. If he wants dealers to refrain from marketing here, fine by me, I can always click on the dealer directory, and any dealer who wants to fulfill my need for a pert or implement can easily send me a private message making an offer.
I realize these boards tend to lend themselves to lazy people, the trend seems to be to post a question rather than read what already exists, and I suppose that's human nature. It's also human nature to try selling one's goods with minimal investment in marketing, but taking advantage of someone who has been generous is a bit beyond what I consider right.
On this one, I come down on the side that says if you want to sell here, pay the site owner for the privilidge. If you don't want to offer your goods here, use the private message system, or sell over on Yahoo, as one dealer continues to, or one of the other boards where Yanmar is a presence.

/ Do you want dealers on the board? #8  
We're not allowing in-signature links to commercial websites, since that is the beginning of blatant advertising in the forums... which we never have and never will allow. Sig files lead to logos, which can lead to "xyz tractor for sale" ...

The rules are spelled out in the FAQ... but nothing prevents you from privately contacting a user about a specific part, service, or request.

From the FAQ: <font color=blue>We allow absolutely no advertising to be posted in the discussion forums. All advertisements will be removed without notice. You also may not post links to your own commercial website in your signature files, or in posts. You may include your website URL in your user profile.</font color=blue>

Please don't forget that we have a <A target="_blank" HREF=http://classifieds.tractorbynet.com/>classifieds section</A> where you can post ads for FREE. So it's not that we're trying to make everybody pay to be a dealer on TBN. It's just that we want the forums to remain clutter-free, organized, and also ad free.

If someone is specifically looking to buy something, they probably are going to check the classifieds. If you think that based on a post what you have to sell might be of interest to them, send them a private message with a link to your classified.

/ Do you want dealers on the board? #9  
Interesting subject as I received a private message yesterday from the monitor telling me my signature was an "advertisement" even though it only gave my business name and town I live in. Even so, I figure that TBN can make whatever rules they like. I can abide by them or go elsewhere. I have now removed my business name and I think that will comply.

I am relatively new at this board, yet I can still say that the information I provide is often hard earned or hard learned information. As dealers, we know most of the interchange numbers for filters and so on, we have most of the specs on the tractors, we accumulatively have most every parts book available, we have factory service manuals and just a ton of experience on top of that. This is valuable information. This information helps make this board successful. In that way it is our contribution and in return we learn things from others and occasionally may recieve a message from someone wanting to buy something from us.

Balance is the key, and it seems that Muhammed is being reasonable, even if I think it is a little tight.

What bothers me is if a guy makes a post asking for information on parts for a Yanmar and a dealer pops in and makes a pitch for Mahindra or whatever. That is no help at all. On the other had, if a guy is looking to buy a tractor and is wondering about prices or specifications for Kubota vs Kioti and a dealer pops in for both, more power to them.

I think I forgot the point I was making, always a good time to quit typing....

/ Do you want dealers on the board? #10  
Offering a helping hand is one thing but pestering another is something else /w3tcompact/icons/mad.gif..and yes all dealers etc.. don't pester.

Always thought of this site a kick back and relax,share ones views and couple of jokes here and there,also knowledge...most of all <font color=red> respect<font color=red><font color=black>toward others.

How does that old saying go..His tools his rules. /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.