Do you use a cutting area for Bucked logs?

/ Do you use a cutting area for Bucked logs? #71  
Heres a small bit of my wood (Eucalyptus Punctata) for this winter
Now thats a hard wood
wood_5098.JPG

/ Do you use a cutting area for Bucked logs? #73  
Heres a small bit of my wood (Eucalyptus Punctata) for this winter
Now thats a hard wood
View attachment 263700

You guys have some of the hardest/densest wood i've ever seen! I bet it burns a long time.

Some years ago a buddy of mine handed me a piece of wood that he had picked up someplace up in the mountains in Idaho or Washington state. He had cross cut it with a taper so that the thin part was around 1/4" thick. It looked like very dark red plastic with a nice luster finish. He said, go ahead and see if you can break that piece, and try as i might, no go. Very heavy and hard on a saw. I thought he called it mountain mahogany but i'm not aware of any mahogany that grows up here the the PNW.

/ Do you use a cutting area for Bucked logs? #74  
Don't know how I missed this thread.

David you are cutting them all wrong.
You should cut logs like a bureaucrat cuts red tape.
Length wise.
attachment.php

Just this morning I sawed up a 11' White Oak, about 20" and I'm looking forward to a lot of shelving, a 6x6 post, and enough firewood from the waste to heat for days.

With the pile of logs you showed you could build a tractor shed.

Attachments

• 8x6SAM_0379.jpg
    8x6SAM_0379.jpg
    449.2 KB · Views: 843
   / Do you use a cutting area for Bucked logs? #75  
I process in a couple different areas. I cut some to block length in the bush and throw onto my dump truck or trailers then take home here to split and pile. I also skid logs to stack on scrap logs in the bush to finish processing next year because I have too much firewood at home. We also process right outside the bush if crops are off.
Tough to see well in this pic taken from the roof of my barn. Conveyor is an old grain elevator. Spitters are a speeco 28 ton, a shop built vertical 20 ton , a gilson whatever and a unicorn killer. I have a couple stihls.

Attachments

• piles2.jpg
    piles2.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 233
   / Do you use a cutting area for Bucked logs? #76  
The best burning woods are Ironbark , Stringy Bark , Yellow Box and Eucalypts , they are very hard and heavy.
Just one of those logs in my pic will take two blokes with crow bars to move along.
Slice them down to 12" then hand split them , keeps me fit during winter.
If I am lucky might get a couple of months in a Rayburn/Aga Stove out of those 3 logs (burning non stop)

/ Do you use a cutting area for Bucked logs?
Don't know how I missed this thread.

David you are cutting them all wrong.
You should cut logs like a bureaucrat cuts red tape.
Length wise.

Just this morning I sawed up a 11' White Oak, about 20" and I'm looking forward to a lot of shelving, a 6x6 post, and enough firewood from the waste to heat for days.

With the pile of logs you showed you could build a tractor shed.

Newbury,

Is that thing portable? You can have 60% of the wood, come on over... Bring a chain saw or 3, I've got way more wood I can bring in...

YUM!

David

/ Do you use a cutting area for Bucked logs? #78  
Newbury,

Is that thing portable? You can have 60% of the wood, come on over... Bring a chain saw or 3, I've got way more wood I can bring in...

YUM!

David
Yes it's portable but it's in Mississippi.
I just finished another oak log today.
Right now I'm just learning to saw with the BSM, previously I've used a CSM.

So far I've only sawn about 300 board feet. But it's for myself and fun. Something to do on a rainy day instead of read TBN.

And I've already got relatives offering up trees. The MIL wanted me to take down a big leaner, but I told her it would have to wait until I brought down my real saws, the 660's.

/ Do you use a cutting area for Bucked logs? #79  
Versace pants! I always wear versace pants when I'm cutting logs, too. Great first post, sohfia.

/ Do you use a cutting area for Bucked logs? #80  
Versace pants! I always wear versace pants when I'm cutting logs, too. Great first post, sohfia.
Chainsaw ministry at my Church requires hard hat, face shield, ear muffs, gloves and chaps, along with steel toe boots.
I comply with all of it except gloves, because I don't like to handle a chainsaw using gloves, unless they are very thin, and tight. When I put the saw down, the gloves go on.
David from jax