Do you have a front loading washing machine? You might want to take a look..

/ Do you have a front loading washing machine? You might want to take a look.. #1  

Wakey

Veteran Member
Tractor
John Deere Z915B Zero Turn 54 Deck
I have a set of Samsung front loading machines. I've been very pleased with them, they do a great job and I've never had an odor issue with the washer. (I leave the door ajar when not in use).

The other day I heard a very load explosion, thought the power transformer blew up. Turns out it was the washer. When I went into the laundry it was shaking pretty bad, thankfully at the end of the spin cycle.

So I called Samsung, they informed me I was 20 days outside of my 5 year extended warranty. Go figure.

They gave me 2 repair shops to contact. I read reviews on both and they were either average or bad. I'm out in the country so I figured they'd send the most junior tech since the good ones work close in so they make more $.

So I decided to fix it myself and started to research.

Long story short, this is a common problem on most front loaders, not just with Samsung.

The bracket that connects the drive to the drum (spider bracket) gets caked with detergent and it causes the Aluminum to fail. Some say galvanic corrosion is the issue.

In the course of my research a few tech's posted on a YouTube video that too much detergent is the cause. They recommended ONE TABLESPOON of detergent. I was filling the dispenser to the max line which is 7 TABLESPOONS!!

I had no idea. Turns out 1 tablespoon is plenty, the clothes come out just as fresh as before. These units don't use much water so they don't need much soap. (I use Persil, I get that from WalMart)

The tech's recommended using the clean tub cycle if you have one. They suggested using a cup of vinegar and setting the washer to the hottest cycle. If you have been overdosing on soap like me, you might want to do this once a week for awhile.

My cost was $235.00 for parts. The bracket, 6 new bolts and the rubber boot that goes between the door and the tub.

I have no doubt the cost for them to repair would have been almost as much as a new unit.

This is the end of the disassembly. For the 1000th time, thanks YouTube!

20180803_141342.jpg

This shows the crack in the spider bracket. Had it broken completely, the machine would have disassembled itself. :laughing:

20180803_141409.jpg

Closeups of caked on detergent.

20180803_141416.jpg

20180803_141424.jpg

20180803_142418.jpg

This was under the spider bracket.

20180803_142426.jpg

This is after I put the pressure washer on the drum and installed the new bracket.

20180809_121255.jpg

All done!

20180809_164916.jpg

/ Do you have a front loading washing machine? You might want to take a look.. #2  
Thanks for posting that info.

My Maytag doesn’t have a clean tub cycle but I just ran a cup vinegar through.

/ Do you have a front loading washing machine? You might want to take a look.. #3  
There is a certain joy in executing a successful repair. It is not just the money saved, it is much more. There is a sense of pride in the acquisition of new applied knowledge. Good work and a job well done. :thumbsup:

/ Do you have a front loading washing machine? You might want to take a look.. #4  
We use little detergent also, mainly because we have soft water and also as stated about these washers using less water. With soft water you have virtually no detergent residue so we haven't ever had to clean ours in the 3 years we've been using it (Samsung). We also leave the door cracked open when not in use - no kids or pets around to worry about breaking the door.

/ Do you have a front loading washing machine? You might want to take a look.. #5  
I use very little detergent, Most front loaders are HE, the other thing I don’t do is wash anything on cold, it needs at least warm water to dissolve the detergent.

/ Do you have a front loading washing machine? You might want to take a look.. #6  
Interesting- been out here in the sticks for 36+ years now. My water is fairly highly mineralized and I've always used what the liquid detergent manufacturer recommends. Had a front loader for all of the 36 years - no problems like indicated by the OP. Had Sears - Kenmore all those years.
I leave the door open and also leave the detergent/bleach/fabric softener dispenser drawer pulled out so it can dry.

Just thought of another item that probably is a big difference. I'm out here by myself. I do not "separate" anything I wash. Shop towels, underwear, sweat shirts & pants, T-shirts, socks, work pants, towels, red, white, black, tan, green, etc,etc - all go in the washer & dryer together. I do one load of laundry every ten days. I faithfully run the washer thru its cleaning cycle every month.

Last edited:
   / Do you have a front loading washing machine? You might want to take a look.. #7  
Thanks for the great post! Yours and posts like this by many others are what makes TBN an excellent forum. Keep up the good work!

/ Do you have a front loading washing machine? You might want to take a look.. #9  
I bought a washer and dryer and fridge and stove from Sears (Kenmore brand) way back in 1981 when I bought my house. They are all still ticking, knock on wood!

/ Do you have a front loading washing machine? You might want to take a look.. #10  
Wow! I thought I was doing well here - Mace. I bought Kenmore in '82 - washer, dryer & fridge. All have been replaced in the last four years with same model Kenmore. The stove - Jenn Aire -still going strong.