Backhoe Do I really need a Backhoe on my CUT???

/ Do I really need a Backhoe on my CUT??? #31  
Yes get a backhoe. It's by far the attachment I use the most on my machines, And not just for digging. Scraping, soil loosening and brush grubbing are just a few of it's uses.

Andy

/ Do I really need a Backhoe on my CUT??? #32  
$12,000 pretty pricey. IMO you'd have to have a lot of work lying around to justify. Plus it's probably off the tractor most of the time anyway.

When I need I rent, they are bigger, and someone else takes care of them. For extended use a rental place will give you a much better rate for a 5-7 day rental.

Of course if you can afford it...nevermind.

/ Do I really need a Backhoe on my CUT??? #33  
I put in a house and all I had was a 35 Hp Jinma and box blade and rear blade and landscapping rake. I hired out the basement digging and for installing the water lines on the property I rented a small kubota backhoe loader for a weekend. I've never felt bad about renting now and then. The little tractor I own does fine with no FEL or Backhoe. It's easy to work on and I'm not tearing up the machine by trying to overdo with the backhoe or loader. I don't know how far from town your place is so equipment moving may be an issue. I agree that 12 grand is serious money and backhoes can be a pain to maintain. bjr

/ Do I really need a Backhoe on my CUT???
I put in a house and all I had was a 35 Hp Jinma and box blade and rear blade and landscapping rake. I hired out the basement digging and for installing the water lines on the property I rented a small kubota backhoe loader for a weekend. I've never felt bad about renting now and then. The little tractor I own does fine with no FEL or Backhoe. It's easy to work on and I'm not tearing up the machine by trying to overdo with the backhoe or loader. I don't know how far from town your place is so equipment moving may be an issue. I agree that 12 grand is serious money and backhoes can be a pain to maintain. bjr

I'm only 10 min to a Cat rental store, and I have a gooseneck to pull anything up to 11000 pounds.

Some of you talk me into it, some of you talk me out of it.........

All the input is great though, thanks!!

-J.

One other advantage of having a backhoe that no one else has mentioned yet - they are just plain fun to use!

Corm

Amen on the fun factor!! A buddy of mine has a Kubota B39, and I could dig holes..... and then fill them back in, all day long!!!

What a bunch of kids we are...!!! I went to school for a very long time to get back to being like this though, and I have really no interest in a Benz, so........

-J.

/ Do I really need a Backhoe on my CUT??? #36  
, and I could dig holes..... and then fill them back in, all day long!!!

Have you actually tried this? ALL day. Yeah it seems like fun but when the fun is over...few hours depending on the dust and heat, hitting rocks, stumps, water lines, electrical lines, sweer lines...:D...it's just work again. :D Wow think about 50 hours a week on one shaking your gutts out. Like anything I guess, driving an Indy car would be cool, but 500 miles of left turns and several hours would start to feel like work. And no AC!!

/ Do I really need a Backhoe on my CUT??? #37  
7 responses in <12 hours!!! Nice.

Thanks for all that guys.

There are several Montana dealers here in Alberta, so I think I'll give them a try.

Hold on........Actually, I just looked and the Amereuip 8600 can't be the 448. The 8600 doesn't have a curved boom on it.

Do any of you have an opinion on the Woods BH90??? Looks good on paper.

Thanks again, looking forward to reading more thoughts.

-J.

Right, does the 448 have a curved boom - and how much does that matter (in dollar$) ?

This thread;
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/attachments/126558-amerequip-backhoe-oem-who.html
Got me to believe they are the same, although when I was measuring buckets for pin spacing I admit to not checking the curvature (or lack thereof) of the boom.

Right, does the 448 have a curved boom - and how much does that matter (in dollar$) ?

This thread;
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/attachments/126558-amerequip-backhoe-oem-who.html
Got me to believe they are the same, although when I was measuring buckets for pin spacing I admit to not checking the curvature (or lack thereof) of the boom.

Dunno how much a curved boom matters...??? Probably not much to a hack like me. I'm kinda type A, and like to have the best I can for the least $$ - is that possible??

As for the fun part mentioned above, when it's not fun anymore I'll put her away for 48 hours and come back to it!!! Rome wasn't built in a day...... and I'm learning really quick that neither is my acreage.

-J.

/ Do I really need a Backhoe on my CUT??? #39  
Dunno how much a curved boom matters...??? Probably not much to a hack like me. I'm kinda type A, and like to have the best I can for the least $$ - is that possible??

As for the fun part mentioned above, when it's not fun anymore I'll put her away for 48 hours and come back to it!!! Rome wasn't built in a day...... and I'm learning really quick that neither is my acreage.

-J.

Curved booms on CUT sized back-hoes almost certainly fall below the price/usefulness curve and above the manufacturing_cost/profit_margin curve.
IOW I probably wouldn't pay much additional for it and the supplier can probably make a much better percentage on it than they do on the base hoe.

Nice delta for supplier, poor delta for consumer (-: