Backhoe Do I really need a Backhoe on my CUT???

/ Do I really need a Backhoe on my CUT??? #21  
I have had two tractors, I have never put one on. I cannot justify the cost. In my particular situation there is a guy down the road with a mine ex, and I call him to do ditches/trenches. he charges about 300 for a full day minus lunch and pack up time. I have hired him 3 times for stuff I would have used the backhoe for.

If you have more work than that, maybe it would be worth it to you. I won't say that I will never put one on my tractor, but it would have to be a heck of a bargain.

Good luck in your decision, hope it works out for you.

/ Do I really need a Backhoe on my CUT??? #22  
I must need a BH cause right now I'm using my BX23 to dig a ditch to install an elect line from my 22x76 metal building to the 8x10 storage building that was delivered today.
Just came in from working on the ditch.
Got about 6 feet to go so i may go back out and finish it up after while.

I'm sure glad there is a BX23 setting out in the garage instead of a BX2230 as there would have been had I listened to my wife.
Don't tell her i said this.!.

/ Do I really need a Backhoe on my CUT???
Found a Woods distributor today here in Alberta. They want ONLY 14500$ for a BH90X, and another $2700 to add a thumb!!!! Holy Schnikey's!!!!

A friend on mine says he's seeing reasonable used minihoes out of the states for 5-10k, I think I may go that route, unless I stumble across a good deal on a 445, 448, or a Woods.

We'll see I geuss....

-Jer.

/ Do I really need a Backhoe on my CUT??? #24  
I bought a used Bradco 611 which was on a skid steer mount. My guess the skid steer was too small because the hoe was barely used. I couldn't get a factory mount for my tractor so I built one. You have to consider what a mount costs because one can spend 2k plus tax and shipping on that heavy iron.
It is a great attachment with a million uses. I planted approx 100 10-12' trees with mine this spring digging a 2x2 hole for root expansion. Try that with a shovel ! If you have time look for a used one. I have seen quite a few on the market. Good luck.

/ Do I really need a Backhoe on my CUT??? #25  
I'd judge this decision by whether you tend to finish projects or almost-finish. With a backhoe, the almost- projects are eyesores, and harder to ignore. I bought a backhoe/tractor combo back in 1972 and used it to build a house. Once that was done, all I ever dug was trouble for myself.
Still, if you have enough projects, and can buy used, you can likely sell it again for about what you paid: no loss and you learn a new skill. That'd be true for a machine or attachment.
Jim

/ Do I really need a Backhoe on my CUT??? #26  
Woulds there be a market for just the hoe after you have finished with it.:)

You may also consider that having the hoe on hand will allow you versatile equipment availability that you do not have with rental equipment.:D

I would never run out of uses for a backhoe. I use mine more than any other attachment. Without one I would find my tractors pretty limited. Get the hoe, I don't think you'll ever regret it. Anyone who calls a hoe a paperweight probably has never used one.

Andy

/ Do I really need a Backhoe on my CUT??? #27  
I got a quote of about US$7800 a few months ago for a 448 and $6800 for a 375. The Woods equivalent was about $1000 more expensive in each case. I couldn't see how it was better than the Deere model.

I ended up buying the Deere backhoe and, to sound a contrary note, have found it to be of limited use. I originally planned to use it to dig out a lot of stumps but it justs makes a mess at it and takes forever. The other random uses I have found for it thus far don't really justify it - maybe things might change in the future.

If I were to go back in time, I feel that I might have been happier investing in a used mini-ex. The CUT with a backhoe just isn't very balanced and feels like a compromised machine.

/ Do I really need a Backhoe on my CUT??? #28  
Got about 6 feet to go so i may go back out and finish it up after while.

I'm sure glad there is a BX23 setting out in the garage
Got the ditch done for the elect line to the little storage building.
Like I told my wife if i didn't have the BX23 I'd probably still be waiting on a BH this time next week.
Time and convince all it takes to make a BH worth it.

/ Do I really need a Backhoe on my CUT??? #29  
I've had a backhoe on my tractor for close to 10 years now. I have 20 acres I maintain, and never run out of uses for it.

Debushau, above, brings up a couple of good points. A backhoe on a CUT is not an excavator... If you think you'll be using your backhoe to dig up a bunch of big hardwood stumps, you might try renting one first. They'll do it, but it isn't a quick process, and it really works a small rig like ours. On the other hand, a lot of the jobs I do with mine are better suited for a small rig. It is a matter of matching the requirements to the tool. I've dug stumps, laid sewer lines, water lines, ditches, retaining wall trenches, lots and lots of rocks, this summer I dug a form trench for a garage, I put in a septic system this year for a friend (not for free...), etc. etc... I also get a few odd jobs each summer for neighbors. Good for a few bucks on the side every year.

One other advantage of having a backhoe that no one else has mentioned yet - they are just plain fun to use!

Corm

/ Do I really need a Backhoe on my CUT??? #30  
Seems I'm late to help twist your arm... :rolleyes:

I have about 2 acres that are 'mine'. I own a JCB 1550 industrial (15 1/2' digging depth)

I've got to be the biggest machine to smallest plot of anyone :p

Additional uses other than those mentioned:

1. Burying a goldfish that my wife didn't want me to 'flip' into the woods
2. Transplanting wifes day lillies instead of grabbing a shovel
3. Lift propane tank to top side of retaining wall
4. Use raised front bucket as 'trash bin' as I tossed ripped up flooring and threw out window (it's got an 8' wide bucket)
5. Hoist (flat) tractor tire into bed of truck
6. Hoist (flat) BACKHOE tire to/from truck