Do fires extinguishers need to be shaken to prevent settling?

/ Do fires extinguishers need to be shaken to prevent settling? #51  
I worked for a BIG fires safety company once in the 80s. It was practice when re-certifying extinguishers to shake them to see if the powder still moved freely. Not a great definiitive test if you ask me. But the whole business was quite the scam!

I like my water and CO2 extinguishers. Especially since you can give them a squirt without being committed to service the cylinder. Never mind not making a HUGE mess!

/ Do fires extinguishers need to be shaken to prevent settling? #52  
And they are handy for water fights !

/ Do fires extinguishers need to be shaken to prevent settling? #53  
Shake the powder type occasionally AND when you go to use it. It may even be beneficial to smack it on a tire and shake before using if you have one mounted in a vehicle.

/ Do fires extinguishers need to be shaken to prevent settling? #54  
Shake the powder type occasionally AND when you go to use it. It may even be beneficial to smack it on a tire and shake before using if you have one mounted in a vehicle.
I can't see it doing any harm. I went through the local fire department's extinguisher training program about 20 years ago, and they emphasized having ABC extinguishers serviced on a schedule. They mentioned the Extinguisher Shimmy, which was only necessary if you didn't get your extinguishers serviced on time. I'm willing to bet that started life as somebody's sales spiel. Supposedly a metal valve can be serviced, so I took one in. It cost more than a disposable to service it, and the expensive valve leaked all the pressure. Those valves are like water heater relief valves. Once they open, they never seat again. The dry chemical is really hard to clean out of the valve seat.

/ Do fires extinguishers need to be shaken to prevent settling?
What's the service life of a metal valve fire extinguisher when it should be tossed and replaced? Seems like servicing costs more than buying new for the higher quality household use ones.

/ Do fires extinguishers need to be shaken to prevent settling? #56  
I can't see it doing any harm.
Did you read the myth? Not saying it WILL do harm, but they point out the possible negative points, and claim ZERO benefit to whacking a portable fire ext.

But one of the great things about the USoA is that you can mostly do what you want. Of course, if your building burns down and you used a fire ext in a non-compliant method to try and control the fire, the insurance company may deny your claim...

/ Do fires extinguishers need to be shaken to prevent settling? #57  
I wouldn't worry about that. The Insurance Company will do their best to deny (or limit) the claim anyway they can.

/ Do fires extinguishers need to be shaken to prevent settling? #58  
Did you read the myth? Not saying it WILL do harm, but they point out the possible negative points, and claim ZERO benefit to whacking a portable fire ext.

But one of the great things about the USoA is that you can mostly do what you want. Of course, if your building burns down and you used a fire ext in a non-compliant method to try and control the fire, the insurance company may deny your claim...
Does your state not have an insurance commission?

/ Do fires extinguishers need to be shaken to prevent settling? #59  
Does your state not have an insurance commission?
You could probably find that out just as easily as me.

But maybe you could explain how it's relevant.

/ Do fires extinguishers need to be shaken to prevent settling? #60  
You could probably find that out just as easily as me.

But maybe you could explain how it's relevant.
I assumed that you would have the normal citizen cognizance of your state laws and regulations.

It's relevant because insurance fraud will put them out of business overnight.