DK45SC Starting problems

/ DK45SC Starting problems #1  

rd_macgregor

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kioti DK45SC, Kubota B2650
Last winter my 2006 DK45SC with about 1500 hrs started to get stubborn about starting. It had always before started immediately on cranking, so this was an unpleasant surprise. I thought it might be old/weak glow plugs, since using the block heater seemed to help. The problem went away on its own last spring...until a couple of weeks ago, when the same thing started (or not!!) again. Now, this is still fairly warm weather so I doubt the issue is the glow plugs. It will crank over enthusiastically, but doesn't even cough or sputter. Then, after a few tries, it sometimes will fire right up....and run great as long as I don't shut it off. I figure something, somewhere in the fuel delivery system (fuel, pump, filter, lines...) is goofy, but don't know where to start, or what is the best fit for the symptoms.
I welcome suggestions that might point me in the right direction.
Thanks.

/ DK45SC Starting problems #2  
Might be losing its prime do any of the fuel lines look wet....

/ DK45SC Starting problems
Might be losing its prime do any of the fuel lines look wet....

I'll check that. It seems to help if I pump the gizmo on the top of the fuel filter housing a couple of times, so that might make sense. If so, just replacing some fuel lines should help, right?

/ DK45SC Starting problems #4  
Yes could be the lines or fuel filter gasket...or the hand primer pump

/ DK45SC Starting problems #5  
What does your tractor use for shutting down?
A solenoid, is it a activate to shutdown or an activate to run?
Activate to run are usually controlled by two relays a start and a run relay which go to start and run windings.
If your shutdown solenoid is acting up it will not start.

/ DK45SC Starting problems #6  
Sure does sound like glow plug problems to me, at least I think. After you do get it started, and warmed up, if you shut it off, will it restart easily, or is it still hard to start??

I think LouNY brings up a very good point also; but I don't see why warm weather (summer) would change your symptoms if it was solenoid problems. Of course it might just be a coincidence!

/ DK45SC Starting problems #7  
I think you should let your tractor run awhile, warm the engine fully and then shut off. Wait two minutes and restart again. If it struggles to start, it's probably not the glow plugs because you already have hot combustion chamber. Leading to the fuel system as most likely source of your starting problems.

/ DK45SC Starting problems #8  
If it is the fuel system, drain and clean your fuel tank and replace the fuel filter. Evaluate the overall integrity of your fuel lines. You may also notice some decreased performance of your tractor as you work, and this also due to fuel line issues.

/ DK45SC Starting problems
I think you should let your tractor run awhile, warm the engine fully and then shut off. Wait two minutes and restart again. If it struggles to start, it's probably not the glow plugs because you already have hot combustion chamber. Leading to the fuel system as most likely source of your starting problems.

Well, I tried this (though without a 2 min wait) and it didn't want to re-start...so, not the glow plugs. I think this narrows it down to the fuel system somewhere...I guess I'll just have to work through the possibilities until the problem goes away. None of the fuel hoses seemed wet on the outside, so contamination/filter, pump or solenoid/relay seem the most likely targets for attention now.
Thanks, all.