DK45 SE ground issue ?

/ DK45 SE ground issue ? #1  

StuartDK45SE

Silver Member
Tractor
Kioti DK45SE
2014 DK45 SE. I thought my old battery was bad, so I bought a new one. After getting the cables connected , I turned the key to the on position, the dash lights came on, glow plug indicator went off in a few seconds etc. When I try to start it, just a click. Then if I turn the key off and back on, nothing. No dash lights no click. I can take my booster and it will start , but not with much authority. I worked the tractor for about 30 minutes, turned it off, tried to start it back up and nothing. No lights , no click, zilch. Probably a ground , but where to start? Ground cable from the battery to frame appears in good shape. I wiggle it with the key on and don’t get any lights etc. Where should I start ? Maybe my starter is pulling too many amps ? But why would the dash lights not work? I’m guessing the booster is providing its own ground when I connect it and that’s why it will start that way.

Last edited:
   / DK45 SE ground issue ? #2  
Have a close look at the battery leads too, I had an intermittent starter issue and when it would go, it would engage, then disengage, reingage, rapidly, banging away. The positive lead on the battery looked "ok" but when I cut back some insulation the wire was mostly green powder.... Fortunately there was enough slack to cut back to clean wire and put another lead on.

/ DK45 SE ground issue ? #3  
Ground cable from the battery to frame appears in good shape.
Looks are usually deceiving. I suggest removing it and brightening the lug as well as where it attaches to the frame plus clean and brighten the cable clamps where they attach to the battery posts as well as the posts themselves. HF sells a dandy post / clamp cleaner for under 5 bucks. No tool box should be without one...

You obviously have a high resistance connection.

/ DK45 SE ground issue ?
Looks are usually deceiving. I suggest removing it and brightening the lug as well as where it attaches to the frame plus clean and brighten the cable clamps where they attach to the battery posts as well as the posts themselves. HF sells a dandy post / clamp cleaner for under 5 bucks. No tool box should be without one...

You obviously have a high resistance connection.
Thanks. Yep, have one of those gizmos and inside of clamp and outside of post are bright and shiny. I'm going to take the negative lead off the frame give it a good cleaning and start eliminating things one thing at a time.

/ DK45 SE ground issue ? #5  
Forget the years, but Kioti had some bad Neg cables and they would corrode inside the insulation. Something to check.

/ DK45 SE ground issue ? #6  
I try not to be a parts thrower, but I know the DK SE series was plagued with starter relay troubles, including mine. A quick $15 try, as the relay is standard type. See pic below for location

Capture.JPG