DIY poor men's FEL brush cutter

/ DIY poor men's FEL brush cutter #1  

2515R Dude

Silver Member
Tractor
Branson 2515R
I had a swisher brush cutter sitting in my barn. It is a good thing, but it is hard to use in tight places or where the brush is very thick.
So, made some improvements.
I had a patch 20x50 yards of really thick bushes which i did not had courage to approach. Today i did it!!!

20230921_132111.jpg

This is after initial pass when i cut this patch in half.

20230921_124835.jpg

This area already cleaned. I could not see the tree before. It was a 6' high wall of briar, wild roses and black berries.

20230921_132056.jpg

/ DIY poor men's FEL brush cutter #3  
I have wanted to do this same thing for a while now. The only problem is I do not already own one of these machines. Glad to see it works as well as I have imagined in my dreams. Time to hit FB marketplace!!!

/ DIY poor men's FEL brush cutter #4  
Out front where it belongs!!

Nice innovation. (y)

After using a 3pt hitch brush cutter for about 10 years, I was so happy to switch to a front mounted unit on the FEL arms.

/ DIY poor men's FEL brush cutter #5  
Out front where it belongs!!

Nice innovation. (y)

After using a 3pt hitch brush cutter for about 10 years, I was so happy to switch to a front mounted unit on the FEL arms.

There’s a reason most people with skid steer mowers put demolition doors on them. Running a mower on an open station tractor is pretty ballsy.

/ DIY poor men's FEL brush cutter #7  
Some kind of mower for the FEL would be appealing rather than having to remove the backhoe. I'd at least wear a face shield and would consider a vertical extension of the front grill guard on the tractor if I did much of this.

/ DIY poor men's FEL brush cutter #8  
Running a mower on an open station tractor is pretty ballsy.
Help out one of your slower readers here -- why? The operator's not going to be in the plane of the spinning blades or in the discharge path, are they? In fact the operator has some height and distance as added safety margins. What hazard am I not seeing here?

Operating a push mower on the lawn is pretty ballsy, if your spouse leaves those green metal plant stakes lying around camouflaged in the grass. I can attest they will completely penetrate the mower's trailing flap shield. For some reason I still have ankles. So far.

/ DIY poor men's FEL brush cutter #9  
Help out one of your slower readers here -- why? The operator's not going to be in the plane of the spinning blades or in the discharge path, are they? In fact the operator has some height and distance as added safety margins. What hazard am I not seeing here?

Operating a push mower on the lawn is pretty ballsy, if your spouse leaves those green metal plant stakes lying around camouflaged in the grass. I can attest they will completely penetrate the mower's trailing flap shield. For some reason I still have ankles. So far.
Agreed, until you put the mower on the FEL and watch someone curl it down until operator is in the plane of destruction. As with everything, some operator awareness is required.

I've run a rotary mower / brush hog for years, in fact I just listed one of mine in the classifieds here, and I've never even driven a cab'd tractor. Open operator station is all I know. Never an issue, anything flying out from under a 3-point mower is skidding along the ground, safely under me.

/ DIY poor men's FEL brush cutter #10  
I am imagining my tractor with the PTO bush hog on the 3 point and one of these on the FEL. Man, that set-up could do some serious damage in my bottomland!!!