Ditch and Bank Mowers -- Too Fragile for Regular Use?

/ Ditch and Bank Mowers -- Too Fragile for Regular Use? #1  

TerryR

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 870
My five-year-old ditch and bank mower seems to be falling apart. This spring the gearbox failed, and took a week or two to get repaired. Today it literally came apart -- the pivot assembly where the mower head attaches to the swing arms broke:
mower-pivot-brokejpg.jpg

The pivot shaft broke where it was welded into the frame assembly:
mower-pivot-assembly.jpg
mower-pivot-shaftjpg.jpg

I wonder whether a welding shop could repair it? Don't know yet whether a replacement part is available. In either case, getting it out and back in looks like a project.

/ Ditch and Bank Mowers -- Too Fragile for Regular Use? #2  
I like the cricket.. Is he optional? Looks to me like you'll have to have a new shaft machined. Welding IS NOT the solution.

/ Ditch and Bank Mowers -- Too Fragile for Regular Use? #3  
What brand is that flail ?

/ Ditch and Bank Mowers -- Too Fragile for Regular Use?
I like the cricket.. Is he optional? Looks to me like you'll have to have a new shaft machined. Welding IS NOT the solution.
I think he came to inspect the damage.

I don't understand "welding is not the solution." The shaft seems fine, it just broke off the bracket it was welded into. Though it looks like the penetration was not uniform all the way around the shaft, given that the break is deeper on one side than the other.

There is a hole in the bracket that the shaft goes through, and it was welded on the back side. You can see the broken weld on the end of the shaft. It's not very visible in the photo of the bracket.

/ Ditch and Bank Mowers -- Too Fragile for Regular Use? #6  
I would take it to a welding shop and have them weld it back together..

/ Ditch and Bank Mowers -- Too Fragile for Regular Use? #7  
It's Peruzzo Fox Cross 1600.

I noted the Peruzzo color, but was hoping you wouldn't say Peruzzo. I haven't pulled the trigger yet, but Peruzzo is the flail I decided upon. There are a million complaints about poorly made Betsco, Nova, Farmers Helper etc, but this is the first problem I've read about on Peruzzo.
I'm not a welder, so I can't offer an opinion. Good luck on the repair regardless.

/ Ditch and Bank Mowers -- Too Fragile for Regular Use? #8  
What kind of regular use are you giving it?

I have another brand on order. I looked at the Elk Cross pretty hard, too.

I would expect them to be more likely to break than one with fewer moving parts. In my case, I have a total of about 3 acres of easements to mow when the utilities don't get around to it. Also have just along my driveway and the actual ditch. Looking at maybe 3-4 times a year.

/ Ditch and Bank Mowers -- Too Fragile for Regular Use? #9  
If you had a new shaft made with it longer where its welded maybe 1/2 an inch you could plate the backside and make it stronger. But it might break somewhere else..

/ Ditch and Bank Mowers -- Too Fragile for Regular Use?
What kind of regular use are you giving it?
I mow three acres of field, mostly steep with lots of trees, and half a mile of road side twice a year. This broke while mowing in the field.