disposal of transmission fluid?

/ disposal of transmission fluid?
Thanks for the ideas. I had no idea that TSC will accept fluids, will check with them, and re-check with Autozone. At the time I sorta had the feeling that the guy I was talking to didn't know much -- will talk to one of the people I recognize next time. Nobody around here heats with oil, its either wood or propane. I get rid of old gas or diesel by pouring onto the firewood stack for later burning, have not done that with any our oils.

/ disposal of transmission fluid? #12  
Run it thru a coffee filter and add it to your diesel in the summer.

/ disposal of transmission fluid? #13  
I have a friend that burns it added to his fuel for his construction machine fleet. Makes them all smoke real nice for taking pictures! lol Sorry California! Some of us Eastern folk are still out here destroying the planet any chance we get!

I'm not sure you could get it through a coffee filter any time soon! I'm guessing (hoping) the fuel filters will keep out any metal in there.

/ disposal of transmission fluid? #14  
I have a friend that burns it added to his fuel for his construction machine fleet. Makes them all smoke real nice for taking pictures! lol Sorry California! Some of us Eastern folk are still out here destroying the planet any chance we get!

I'm not sure you could get it through a coffee filter any time soon! I'm guessing (hoping) the fuel filters will keep out any metal in there.
I let the trans fluid settle out for a week or two, then siphon it off thru a coffee filter. Siphon hose has a small valve at the lower end to adjust drip rate. -- Automatic ... just watch for slow clog of the filter.
,,,larry

/ disposal of transmission fluid? #15  
Around here we'd put it on a brush pile and light a match to it.

Same here. I put the old oil/trans fluid back in the containers the new oil/fluid came out of to about 3/4 full then top it off with gasoline. Label it and set it aside until needed. That solution, a small lighter knot and a few sticks of dry wood will get just about any brush pile going, green or not.

/ disposal of transmission fluid? #16  
I've heard somewhere of auto stores refusing to accept clean looking but used 'hydro' oil ... because to one employee or another it isn't 'engine oil' or something strictly 'auto' related withing their scope of understanding. It can be as simple as to whom you're speaking when asking, so be sure you're talking to the boss and not the new guy.

A while back it was suggested that such be mixed with used trans or motor oil to darken it and muddle the definition/look so they'll take it. Well, these are typically dyno oils vs various glycols (brake fluid, AF) and I've never been asked 'where'd you get so much' when taking in a few gals of 'custom blend' at a time.

For sure, waste oil heater guys aren't so fussy if finding one of them isn't easy. One told me he burned 50 gal/day in Jan '14 and Jan '15 to heat a 6 bay shop. (uninsulated metal, 16' ceilings :()

btw, I got a neighbor to try standing 'starter' logs in a metal bucket with a few inches of used motor oil poured in. We used a cookie sheet to drain the drips when rotating them (weekly) back to the wood pile and adding to the bucket, and never mentioned it to 'the little woman.' His lady has her traditional way of starting the boxwood stove they augment heat with, ripped/folded cola cartons, etc. One day she called urgently, "The pipe fell off". Not which pipe or what it fell of of. :confused:

I ran next door to find the living room filled with smoke and a rather ghastly stench. "There's something wrong with our wood!" she blurts. "Tell __ when he gets home and we'll do something about it," I say, not alluding to any likely cause:)rolleyes:). We reassembled the stack. After her guy came home and some drama reignited we decided this idea wasn't the best for indoor use. On the upside, he has a lot of water repellent wood for the campfire. :cool:

/ disposal of transmission fluid? #17  
How do you get rid of automatic transmission fluid? I have a piece of equipment that uses Type F for the hydraulics, I am about to change out the fluid and will end up with several gallons of used fluid. Our local auto parts store accepts used oil, but will not accept transmission fluid. Community recycling won't take it. Don't know what I am going to do with it. Ideas?

i just put it into the county oil recycle drum. I dont tell them i am doing it. I think it says waste oil and does not specify. All my oils are mixxed togeather in buckets and is black ussually

/ disposal of transmission fluid? #18  
My Dad, never one to spend money, and always use what he has, started using old, what we called "crankie oil" to preserve wood sided sheds. That didn't work out too bad. What didn't go so well is when he crankied our picnic table!

Sat there for years unused waiting for some unsuspecting person, usually in light coloured pants. Finally I just burned it!