disposal of transmission fluid?

/ disposal of transmission fluid? #1  

FatTire

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L5740, Unimog 404 w/ snowblower, Deere 620i UTV, MX5100 (sold)
How do you get rid of automatic transmission fluid? I have a piece of equipment that uses Type F for the hydraulics, I am about to change out the fluid and will end up with several gallons of used fluid. Our local auto parts store accepts used oil, but will not accept transmission fluid. Community recycling won't take it. Don't know what I am going to do with it. Ideas?

/ disposal of transmission fluid? #2  
around here there are a lot of garages that have waste oil heaters and they`ll take transmission fluid to burn.
just must be reasonably clean, as no water or anti freeze contamination.

/ disposal of transmission fluid? #3  
Around here we have to take it to the local landfill. That's also were we take contaminated oil.

/ disposal of transmission fluid? #4  
All Walmarts with vehicle service will take it from you.

Most Tractor Supply Company stores will take it too.

/ disposal of transmission fluid? #5  
Around here we'd put it on a brush pile and light a match to it.

/ disposal of transmission fluid? #6  
I live in (western) CO as well and all the chain auto stores around here accept it as well as the county landfill when they have their haz waste day. It's essentially a 10 weight oil so they should accept it. If your still having trouble getting rid of it, mix it with your used motor oil for recycle.

DEWFPO

/ disposal of transmission fluid? #7  
How do you get rid of automatic transmission fluid? I have a piece of equipment that uses Type F for the hydraulics, I am about to change out the fluid and will end up with several gallons of used fluid. Our local auto parts store accepts used oil, but will not accept transmission fluid. Community recycling won't take it. Don't know what I am going to do with it. Ideas?

Dump it in old 5 quart motor oil jugs and take it to Advanced Auto or Autozone. They take up to 5 gallons. But if you have more, just hit another local store too.

/ disposal of transmission fluid? #8  
Another idea if you have a trailer with a wooden deck. I have read here that some folks use a mix of ATF and diesel as a deck preservative.

Steve

/ disposal of transmission fluid? #10  
Heat with oil? Dump it into the tank.