Traction Dish in or dish out?

/ Dish in or dish out? #1  

caps

Silver Member
Tractor
New Holland TC26DA
The manual on my TC26DA says that the rear wheels can be operated either dish-in or dish-out.
I am wondering if anyone has changed their wheels around so and if it has any significant benefit... I noted that the tires (R4s) have a rotation direction marked on them so the wheels would have to be changed to the other side of the tractor to keep the rotation the same.

Thanks,
John

/ Dish in or dish out? #2  
Maybe I am thinking this changes the tread width on your rear tires. Set wide would be more beneficial on hills. If the tread width is greater than the implement you are pulling (like a mower) would not be so good.

/ Dish in or dish out? #3  
The only benifit would be more stability. As already stated if the width is wider than the implement in most cases it does nothing good.

/ Dish in or dish out?
Whistlepig/Mike R
Thanks for the response. The tractor seems a bit tippy to me. It has a 54 inch bucket on the FEL and I think a 48 inch one is standard. The width of the tractor is 48 inches. Changing the wheels around would give me an additional couple inches on each side width. This seems to me that it might be a good idea. I am wondering if there is any down side to reversing the wheels. If there is anyone who has done this and has some experience with the effect I would like to hear about it. I don't pull a mower or anything that uses the PTO. I do use a 4 foot rear blade, a 5 foot rake, a small boom for lifting, and a trailer hitch to pull a trailer. Thinking of making a ballast box for the rear since I thing the weight of the rake is not enough to offset the bucket. The rake is about #250. I use the rake to clean up our community beach and noticed the last time I picked up a bucket of sand the rear was awful light and bouncy. Fortunately I don't have to pick it up very high. The last storm left lots of sand in our parking lot but all I had to do was scoup it up and move it down to the beach - about 150 foot - and dump it. Think I'llstart another thread about using the tractor on the beach. I have some questions about that too. Sigh--- so much to learn....

John

/ Dish in or dish out? #5  
Sometimes setting the dish to out, make the 1st plow (talking about a 1-2 bottom 3 point hitch turning plow) try to take too much ground and will never pull right. Ken Sweet

/ Dish in or dish out? #6  
We have a couple of hill farms and set all of our tractors to the widest position. On our flat land farms on tractors without a FEL we keep them narrow. Some require changing sides while on others the center disk detaches from the rim.

/ Dish in or dish out? #7  
Do you have a two piece rim? If so, you can unbolt the dish (inner rim) from the outter rim and flip the dish around which does not effect the direction of the treads.

/ Dish in or dish out?
Nope, Rim is single piece. I would have to switch the wheels from one side to the other. This would give me an estimaated increase of 4 or 5 inches in width (I haven't measured it but thats what it looks like. The problem with this is that I would have to take both wheels off at the same time and those suckers are heavy. They are filled. Moving them around without letting them fall over will be an interesting exercise. May have to borrow my neighbors teenager to help - he is bigger than I am!

John
KC3LX

/ Dish in or dish out? #9  
Also if you go dish out and have a belly mower you might get into the mower deck wheels with the back tires. I can not turn mine on my kubota for this reason. I can how ever buy spacer offline that will extend each tire out 3" not sure if that will help me or but I may try soon

/ Dish in or dish out? #10  
I've switched our tires around. Was dreading the thought. They are loaded too. Rule 1 is not to let the tires fall over. Rule 2 is don't try to pick tire up. Roll tire to side you want, lower tractor with jack to acceptable height to start one lug bolt. Lean tire in and rotate axle to get it lined up. Tighten bolt by hand to draw wheel in and maybe raise jack a little. Wheels will drop right into place. Took me like 25 minutes to complete both sides.. I figured it would take forever.