Digital Readout For 3PH TOP Cylinder

/ Digital Readout For 3PH TOP Cylinder #1  

npalen

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B9200 HSTD and Mahindra 3015
CYL_1.JPGCYL_2.JPG
Did a little mod on the top link cylinder today. The readout has magnets on the back so it can be mounted about anywhere. (except on a plastic dash or fender) :)

Last edited:
   / Digital Readout For 3PH TOP Cylinder #2  
Re: Digital Readout For 3PH Tilt Cylinder

took me a few moments to figure out your setup....

it looks like you have a "pipe clamp" of sorts snugged up on the "rod" (portion that extends / contracts out of cylinder) that is attached to a bar with some magnets on it. and then a black box / digital metering device. that figures out were the bar is.

what happens with the "magnetic bar" if the rod rotates some?

/ Digital Readout For 3PH TOP Cylinder

Good question, Ryan. The "pipe clamp", which doesn't show well in the pics, is an aluminum "doughnut" with a groove machined around the outside. The sheet aluminum "clip" extending down off the end of the scale fits into the groove allowing the cylinder rod to rotate a few degrees in either direction without putting anything in a bind. The "doughnut" is split in half with a pair of #6-32 SHCS (socket head cap screws" clamping it to the cylinder rod.

/ Digital Readout For 3PH TOP Cylinder #4  

Kind of neat, good job on the installation, but why do you need a readout on the tilt cylinder?

I thought you would never ask.:) I'll be the first to admit that it seems a bit of overkill. I added gauge wheels to the back of my 6 ft BB a while back and found that turf could be rolled up like a turf cutter if the tilt of the BB was giving it the exact right depth of cut. The problem is that it's difficult to see the cutting blade without nearly standing up on my Kubota. (The ripper bar is in the line of sight)
So got to thinking (I know that is scary) that it would be nice to have the readout to show exactly where the cutting blade is. I drop the 3PH all the way down on the position control and use the top link cylinder to control the cutting depth. It's amazing what a nice job of leveling the BB does in this scenario.
The readout will show metric or imperial units and decimals but can also be set to read fractions.
The prices have really dropped on these readouts over the last several years:
12" LCD Digital Readout Read Out DRO Table Magnetic Remote for Milling Machines | eBay

/ Digital Readout For 3PH TOP Cylinder #6  

Edit: Topic should read "3PH Top Cylinder".

Off topic, but something I have learned. You can modify your thread title if you select "Edit Post" then select "Go Advanced."

Steve

Done. Thank you.
Oops, looks like each post has to be changed.

Last edited:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OnI-YTQ6qc&feature=youtu.be

A Q&D (quick and dirty) video showing the cylinder and readout. I think that if this type of setup is going to be really useful it needs to have a bar type readout like on GPS guided steering. A set point could be shown as zero at the middle of the screen with red and green showing extension and retraction of the cylinder. (or something like that) The options are limitless.
I would think that would be particularly useful for showing loader bucket level.

Sorry for the camera shake.